1996 K2500 7.4 454 Intake Manifold Gasket replacement and a few other questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbdsr

Reaction score
Most've it's been answered. Coolant temp sensor in the head, the melted black cylinder is the solenoid on the EGR valve, the right hand tube is the one that leads down to the manifold (if I remember correctly) and the bulge you have pictured is a check valve (with engine running there should be no exhaust gases coming out, if that valve failed it could've caused the melty melty, normally connected with a rubber hose to the tube on the left). Unless you need to meet emissions requirements you can remove all of those air injection lines and plug the manifolds.

Factory GM Service Manuals exist, I think it's a 2 volume set for 1996, they come up on ebay occasionally and are totally worth it.

Delco Platinum (gapped to .060, double check emissions sticker underhood) plugs and tune up parts to answer your other question. Don't bother with iridium, double, triple, +4, split, all gimmicks. In stock form Vortec engines love OEM parts. The only exception is the GARBAGE OEM fuel injectors on the 454, for that look into the Blue Knight injector set from FiveOMotorsports, the sell a kit specifically for these engines.

OEM parts, Like in GM..... as in Dealer....or is there some other place other than online that I can find them, that's not going to screw me over like the dealer....

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
OEM parts, Like in GM..... as in Dealer....or is there some other place other than online that I can find them, that's not going to screw me over like the dealer....

I think NAPA carries them, but I buy all my OEm from Amazon.

I just got an Allison filter for 12 bucks, dealer wanted 58

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
LOL...I'll be damned...you have Eagle vision....I never noticed.... the piece is brittle and doesn't have any markings...I'm wondering if this is just more cut off heater hose, like what's been used in the rest of the radiator system...I can't find anything about it on line....

You must be registered for see images attach

:D The hose is for air only, shouldn't have any fuel vapor or anything else. Just need an underhood rated piece of hose that size. I don't see why heater hose wouldn't work.

This is actually from another recent thread about these parts...

That's what the system looks like. Looks like GM has that hose as part of the forward tube, #3.

Rockauto.com or Amazon.com OEM parts as in GM or AC Delco, yes...dealer, no. If anything go to the dealer with your vin and a list of parts you think you need, ask the parts department if they can print a list of them with prices to "get an idea what it's gonna cost" then take the part numbers to the Google/Rockauto/Amazon...eBay also wins for me sometimes.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 on Amazon for OEM stuff. I buy all my AC Delco stuff from there, or GM Parts Direct for some bigger stuff.

sbdsr

Reaction score
:D The hose is for air only, shouldn't have any fuel vapor or anything else. Just need an underhood rated piece of hose that size. I don't see why heater hose wouldn't work.

This is actually from another recent thread about these parts...

That's what the system looks like. Looks like GM has that hose as part of the forward tube, #3.

Rockauto.com or Amazon.com OEM parts as in GM or AC Delco, yes...dealer, no. If anything go to the dealer with your vin and a list of parts you think you need, ask the parts department if they can print a list of them with prices to "get an idea what it's gonna cost" then take the part numbers to the Google/Rockauto/Amazon...eBay also wins for me sometimes.

Yea I found the part...the pipe itself cost 70 bucks and the rubber pipes are separate....I found them here:

http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/epc/gmc/54c-k/03/tc03-009/

I found the hoses from a dealer here:

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-l...Diagram=&PNC=a81d39c2db40fddb14a6abca895bf31a

The problem is I don't know the exact ones that I need so I'll just go to a dealer with the parts number and figure it out from there....

The OEM suggestion is a good one and I found Amazon to have some pretty good prices so I ordered the Delco intake manifold gasket kit because it had everything need in the kit for the job....some red gasket stuff and some loctite and let the adventure begin....

You guys have been very helpful, thank you again.....