1996 Chevrolet K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd look into doing the 4-Hi mod in addition to upgrading to a full HD headlight harness using relays. That will up the voltage delivered to your bulbs considerably and you'll notice a lot better output.

The hd harness with the 4 hi option will help immensely. If that doesn’t work, a projector retrofit might be an option for you. I think @88GMCtruck has made some in the past.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Due to my college schedule now, I'm forced to drive home at night. It's sketchy at best when driving in the rain, any tips to increase visibility on these trucks? I already have the Phillips 9012 bulbs but they don't seem to do much in the rain. I was thinking of doing the 4Hi Headlight kit, but am not sure how much that will really help my situation.

The OEM headlights are a complete joke in any weather. Upgrading to a better light would be my vote, but there are few good options out there anymore, everything takes some effort to get good lighting. The TYC elegante lights are no longer made and were one of the best setups. Other than that, a projector retrofit is the way to go.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Upgrading the lights helps alot but also making sure where they're pointing helps. Got a neighbor who couldn't see the road that great and turns out he needed to adjust the housings. Some fog lights definitely help. Every time I'm in the Frisco area its foggy

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
I'd look into doing the 4-Hi mod in addition to upgrading to a full HD headlight harness using relays. That will up the voltage delivered to your bulbs considerably and you'll notice a lot better output.
Does it affect anything having the high beams on all the time? I'm assuming the procedure is the same to aim the headlights once the high beams are on with the 4-Hi mod?

The hd harness with the 4 hi option will help immensely. If that doesn’t work, a projector retrofit might be an option for you. I think @88GMCtruck has made some in the past.
I thought about changing the headlights, but I love the look of my truck too much to swap to a projector headlight. As silly as it sounds, I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of night visibility with the OEM headlights rather than change them to a projector headlight. Seems like the 4-Hi mod along with the HD headlight harness is my only option as of now.

The OEM headlights are a complete joke in any weather. Upgrading to a better light would be my vote, but there are few good options out there anymore, everything takes some effort to get good lighting. The TYC elegante lights are no longer made and were one of the best setups. Other than that, a projector retrofit is the way to go.
Man I wish TYC continued making the headlight. That would be the best of both worlds to me. I can't bare to change the look of my truck. The nostalgia of the exterior keeps me in love with it. Changing the headlights would definitely change my view on it. :\

Upgrading the lights helps alot but also making sure where they're pointing helps. Got a neighbor who couldn't see the road that great and turns out he needed to adjust the housings. Some fog lights definitely help. Every time I'm in the Frisco area its foggy
Definitely agree. I've aimed my headlights the best I can. I'm still finding the best aim for them, if that makes sense. I don't have any places where I can do the correct procedure so I am forced to do it in my driveway. I've almost got it down, just need to finalize the left/right aiming of the beams. It's not the aiming that's the issue, but the light output at night is subpar at best. When they shine on the wet road it's like 1 candlepower. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being lights are turned off, 10 being daylight in the rain it's a 1/10. On a dry night I'd say a 4/10. I'd like to get the lights bright enough for me to feel safer and not blind other people.

Thanks everyone for your input. I contacted @gmachinz a few days ago but a few unexpected expenses set back my purchase. Luckily, my parents are concerned for my safety too and are willing to chip in. I'm going to ask him about the HD headlight harness as well, this whole lighting thing is new territory to me.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought an HD headlight harness and 4Hi relay kit from LMC truck and I've been happy with the quality; I can't ever go back to stock lighting now though.

Curt

Reaction score
I bought an HD headlight harness and 4Hi relay kit from LMC truck and I've been happy with the quality; I can't ever go back to stock lighting now though.

Just purchased the 4Hi kit from @gmachinz [emoji4]. Now the 2 week wait begins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does it affect anything having the high beams on all the time? I'm assuming the procedure is the same to aim the headlights once the high beams are on with the 4-Hi mod?

The 4-Hi mod just keeps the low beams on all the time, including when you engage the high beams. In the factory configuration the lows shut off when you switch the highs on. Gives you a little more output when you've got the brights on due to all four bulbs staying lit.

4-Hi mod makes a big difference, but IMO the HD headlight harness will be the biggest improvement overall. Gaining an extra volt or so to the headlight sockets will give you a ton of extra brightness.

Curt

Reaction score
The 4-Hi mod just keeps the low beams on all the time, including when you engage the high beams. In the factory configuration the lows shut off when you switch the highs on. Gives you a little more output when you've got the brights on due to all four bulbs staying lit.

4-Hi mod makes a big difference, but IMO the HD headlight harness will be the biggest improvement overall. Gaining an extra volt or so to the headlight sockets will give you a ton of extra brightness.
Ohhhhhhh! That makes sense now... that was the whole reason I didn’t want to do this mod LOL. I always though the 4-Hi mod keeps the high beams with the low beams once you flick the headlight switch to the headlight position. I didn’t know that it was only when you turned on the high beams [emoji1750]‍[emoji3603]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curt

Reaction score
Well, I was hoping I'd have a progress update by now but I don't see a 4-Hi headlight harness coming my way anytime soon: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/gmachinz-buyer-beware.44231/ .

The only little update I do have is that I did an oil change and the new crate motor seems to be healthy. My oil doesn't look like a $10k custom metal flake paint job so that's good. More good news: I finally found time this President's Day weekend to work on my truck and replace the passenger inner and outer door handle for OEM parts. Back when we got the truck painted we replaced the worn out parts with cheap China parts. I told myself one day that I will bring it back to OEM, and it has started. Since then the only things left for revert back to OEM are the: tail lights (probably wont do this as they still look good and work), and the exterior door handles (I have 4 brand new OEM ones waiting to be put on, the pass. front got installed P-Day weekend). The list back in 2013? A lot.

I washed the truck a couple weeks ago, the first time in months. Here's the pics from that:
You must be registered for see images attach