1996 Chevrolet K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darin1047

Reaction score
I guess this might become routine, monthly update time. Well, the power locks have been acting weird lately. I believe the door lock relay has gone bad because there is no way 5 out of the 6 lock actuators decided to stop working at the same time. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes all the doors unlock, other times only the driver's door. I found a NOS OEM door lock relay for cheap on eBay, so I'm going that route first. Fingers crossed.

Good luck with the relay. My power door locks didn’t work after I bought my suburban and it ended up needed to replace 3 out of the 5 door lock actuators.

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the pedal do that in my wifes 03 suburban once in a drive thru. Parking brake light and service brake system message came on but I never found anything wrong and its never done it again. Idk if it somehow got an air bubble or what.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Good luck with the relay. My power door locks didn’t work after I bought my suburban and it ended up needed to replace 3 out of the 5 door lock actuators.
Thanks! I put the new relay in and the door locks work like a charm (*knock on wood*). Seems like the relay was the culprit.

I had the pedal do that in my wifes 03 suburban once in a drive thru. Parking brake light and service brake system message came on but I never found anything wrong and its never done it again. Idk if it somehow got an air bubble or what.
Hmm... weird. At least it hasn't came back.

Curt

Reaction score
Washed the truck then took it to my mechanic this morning to swap out the master cylinder. Everything is working as it should again. Thanks everyone for the help!
You must be registered for see images attach

Curt

Reaction score
Swapped all the bulbs out in the cluster. Feels weird having the cluster this bright, I'm used to the old, dim bulbs haha.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yeah even just taking the cluster out, removing each bulb, cleaning them and then reinstalling it makes a big difference. Over the years despite being concealed, dust gets in there and makes a film on the bulbs. Covers stuff up just enough to take the edge off the brightness.

Curt

Reaction score
So the driver front interior door handle and passenger rear door handle decided to stop working when I drove the truck on Wednesday (or so I’m guessing because 95+ interior door handle problems). So I just bought some NOS OEM interior door handles for $55 shipped. Pretty happy about that purchase [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curt

Reaction score
Update time. Had a starting issue a little while ago. At first the fuel pump stopped priming, so I replaced the fuel pump with an OEM ACDelco one and it fixed the problem for a short while. Then the fuel pump was priming weak, so I replaced the fuel pump relay. All was good for another short period of time before the truck stopped starting. I started getting worried that it was the FPR but then did some thinking to check the cap and rotor. Lo and behold, the cap was oxidized and the rotor was rusted and very worn. I was very happy to spend $40 to fix the problem instead of $800 to replace the FPR. She fires right up everytime now.

I've put the door handles on hold due to the rain and cold weather. The passenger rear door is still acting up after swapping out the interior door handle so @Z71Hobbs helped me diagnose the issue and shipped me out a latch. Once it warms up a bit I'm going to replace the door handles (interior and exterior), along with that one faulty latch.

Due to my college schedule now, I'm forced to drive home at night. It's sketchy at best when driving in the rain, any tips to increase visibility on these trucks? I already have the Phillips 9012 bulbs but they don't seem to do much in the rain. I was thinking of doing the 4Hi Headlight kit, but am not sure how much that will really help my situation.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Due to my college schedule now, I'm forced to drive home at night. It's sketchy at best when driving in the rain, any tips to increase visibility on these trucks? I already have the Phillips 9012 bulbs but they don't seem to do much in the rain. I was thinking of doing the 4Hi Headlight kit, but am not sure how much that will really help my situation.

I'd look into doing the 4-Hi mod in addition to upgrading to a full HD headlight harness using relays. That will up the voltage delivered to your bulbs considerably and you'll notice a lot better output.