1996 C1500 Reg Cab AC not working - what all do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im draining the oil in the compressor.

Turn the compressor pulley some too, you might get more to leak out. And of course tip the compressor end-to-end and all around.

label said it had 6.6oz but i drained out 7.1 and counting.

Now *that's* interesting. That's why I always drain, measure, and backfill.

also color wise it looks just like urine.

The oil must have dye in it already. Or so I imagine, as any PAG I've seen is clear.

the UAC "premium synthetic" pag oil i have is perfectly clear. its an 8oz bottle which i thought would make it easy to get just the right amount in.

Agreed. Remember to split it between the new accumulator (4oz) and the compressor (4oz). Doesn't need to be exactly 4oz, just "about".

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its an 8oz bottle which i thought would make it easy to get just the right amount in.

I forget to mention that the compressor will have perhaps 1/2oz of PAG left inside (per Sanden's instructions, see attached) coating all the parts AFTER you've "drained" it, so if you may want to short-fill it by about that amount... although I don't expect a 1/2oz overcharge of oil would be a deal-breaker.

Attachments

• Pages from Sanden SD Compressor Service Guide v2.pdf
    157.1 KB · Views: 3

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing I've suspected but haven't proven... let's see if anyone weighs-in on this...

The newer, parallel-flow condenser may have smaller internal volume than the older, OEM condenser. Considering that the condenser contains liquid R-134a (after it's condensed) during normal operation, then IF the newer parallel-flow has smaller internal volume, the total R134a charge should be reduced by the volume difference (or some fraction thereof). Otherwise the system would be "overcharged" and suffer from, e.g., excessive high-side pressures.

Don't be concerned. This is just food for thought, for now. I still have my old condenser and could measure its volume, but I don't have a new parallel flow condenser on hand to measure.

Last edited:

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does anyone know what hose goes to the oriface tube?

it was extremely late last night in the dark and i cant find out which hose goes where. the ends are the same size and i think i have it backwares and have to redo everything

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check this fragment from the 1998 service manual, with my comments.

I'm assuming your 1996 is the same as the 1998s.

Look through it completely, the diagrams are spread about.

Attachments

• GMT400 AC plumbing - partial front only.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i forgot to add oil to the compressor again so i tool the line off the top and proceeded to add oil into it. only maybe half went in and it started poouring out the top so now i know i dont have enought oil. do i need to take the whole thing apart again and find out how to add oil??

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EDIT: i relized if i spin the clutch the oil level will drop lol.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i forgot to add oil to the compressor again so i tool the line off the top and proceeded to add oil into it. only maybe half went in and it started poouring out the top so now i know i dont have enought oil. do i need to take the whole thing apart again and find out how to add oil??

See the figures on pg. 11 of this document and read the text there relevant to draining and filling with oil. But read the entire document anyway, it's got lots of good stuff (tho not all immediately relevant to you).

There's a plug on the side of the compressor, from which I assume you drained oil (but not necessarily, I suppose). Put the oil in, there. Re-install the plug with a smudge of Nylog on the O-ring and torque it to spec.

If, on account of this "mistake" :) you have an indeterminate amount of oil in the compressor / system, I (*I*) would pull the compressor, re-drain, and begin anew with a fresh container of PAG (since there's not enough oil on hand anymore).

WHILE you're at it, confirm that you have an extra quart of vacuum oil around for the vacuum pump, because you're going to need it. Plan on vacuuming the system down yourself, even if you're going to have someone else charge it; by so doing you'll be able to confirm the system's tight and completely "dry" of water / humidity / trace amounts of flush, i.e., by vacuuming to ~30" and holding it there overnight (or longer).

You will succeed!

Attachments

• Sanden SD Compressor Service Guide v2.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i cant get this can tap to work.

i seen videos and when you purge a buch of spray comes out but nothing is coming out.

i dont feel enough of anything is coming out of the can

i thought this part would be easy but every step is a *****

any special trick to get freon out of the can?