1996 4l60e 3rd gear slipping.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend one no. They are overpriced for one. Just the torque converters are marked up over 300 percent. They buy from Dacco, paint them, then stick them in their box. If you want just a drop in unit, find a local builder and tell him what you want. 4L60E is the most built unit by most shops, so a good transmission shop does 3-6 a week. It's an easy unit as well. That way if any problem arises, you can go look the guy in the face and get it fixed rather than dealing over the phone. I will say they are good transmissions. They put a lot more parts in vs a stock unit. It's just not worth what they sell them for.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend one no. They are overpriced for one. Just the torque converters are marked up over 300 percent. They buy from Dacco, paint them, then stick them in their box. If you want just a drop in unit, find a local builder and tell him what you want. 4L60E is the most built unit by most shops, so a good transmission shop does 3-6 a week. It's an easy unit as well. That way if any problem arises, you can go look the guy in the face and get it fixed rather than dealing over the phone. I will say they are good transmissions. They put a lot more parts in vs a stock unit. It's just not worth what they sell them for.

Hmmm. The local trans guys run about $600 for a basic rebuild if I pull it myself. I will have to ask what they charge to do some upgrades. Thanks for chiming in, I was starting to go for the monster trans, but I like to save money and make good decisions as well.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang, I had my numbers crossed. All the local shops here want to rebuild my 4l60e for no less than $1000, thats a bench rebuild with me pulling the transmission.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it looks as if im gonna do this myself. My questios are:

1. Should i upgrade all of the clutches or just 3-4 clutch pack?
2. Upgrade to the revised 3-4 clutch pack piston as well?
3. Do corvette servo while im in there?

This trans literally has 15k miles on it, so i dont think a full rebuild is in order, although i may be wrong once i get in to it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start by asking what they put in for a $1000.00. Most of the time they already upgrade most of the parts that come in a Monster kit. This is what our minimum rebuilds have. And they also are $1000.00. 1. .500 boost valve in the pump 2. Vette servo 3. Kevlar band 4. new 29 element sprag 5. all new pistons 6. heavy duty sun shell 7. new pressure control sol. From there you can upgrade the sun shell to a "beast" for $30.00, a "z pack" for the 3/4 clutch for $40.00, a billet servo for the 2/4 and OD for $135.00, Shift kit $80.00. Unless you are drag racing and pumping out over 800 hp the rest of the clutches are more than fine as long as its Reybestos or Borg Warner.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start by asking what they put in for a $1000.00. Most of the time they already upgrade most of the parts that come in a Monster kit. This is what our minimum rebuilds have. And they also are $1000.00. 1. .500 boost valve in the pump 2. Vette servo 3. Kevlar band 4. new 29 element sprag 5. all new pistons 6. heavy duty sun shell 7. new pressure control sol. From there you can upgrade the sun shell to a "beast" for $30.00, a "z pack" for the 3/4 clutch for $40.00, a billet servo for the 2/4 and OD for $135.00, Shift kit $80.00. Unless you are drag racing and pumping out over 800 hp the rest of the clutches are more than fine as long as its Reybestos or Borg Warner.

Thanks Rhino. Im gonna pull it as soon as the temp gets above freezing here. Im gonna take my time, disassemble, inspect, and then decide what to do from there

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So slight update.........but not really.

Been driving my trail toy to and from work.

I started pulling the trans from the 96 and didn't realize how badly cracked my bell housing was, thanks to the PO not tightening down the trans when he installed it to the engine!. The drivers side bottom ear fell off, and there is another spot thats about to come off as well. That being said, i was looking at just getting another good trans shell to build up. I found a "mid 90's" one piece bell housing trans for sale and was wondering if there was anyway to tell the difference between the years so that I know I pick up the right trans for my truck (96 z71)

Cue Rhino.........I know.

Here is the trans I am looking at getting. I want to crack it open and check the clutches and internals first anyways. It has a Goodwrench Reman'd sticker on it also.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/pts/4349618243.html

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any way to physically tell the difference between a 96 4l60e and any other 4l60e? The guy says that this trans for sell is from a 96 but I need to make sure before I buy.

93TL93

Reaction score
i can across this in identifying by sticker http://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...0e-4l80e-tag-id-year-make-model-came-out.html
but the one in the craigslist ad where the sticker is they put the good wrench sticker unless that is the code spray painted on the side in that case the first number is the year code so it would be a 93 but im no trans expert so i could be wrong. but it is a pre 98 or 97(not exactly sure when it was changed) because that is a non removable bell housing. im not sure on interchanging years i know there are differences so i would try to get the same year.

Last edited: