1995 TBI "Vortec" 4.3 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That engine is currently in my truck. It says VORTEC on the valve covers but is TBI. What is the difference between that engine and the 94 and older ones? Do the 95 350s have the same Vortec designation? Looking to V8 swap in the future and want to know if I need an engine specifically from that year or not. Thanks.

Last edited:

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That engine is currently in my truck. It says VORTEC on the valve covers but is TBI. What is the difference between that engine and the 94 and older ones? Do the 95 350s have the same Vortec designation? Looking to V8 swap in the future and want to know if I need an engine specifically from that year or not. Thanks.
You'll want to get one from 96 and up if possible. I can't remember if the 95 was TBI or vortec, but I know it's kind of a weird year, so I steer away from mechanical components from 95 just to be safe. The vortec 350 has upgraded heads, multi port injection, and requires higher fuel pressure to run IIRC. The valves and injection results in better power and torque figures, while maintaining about the same fuel economy or better. The difference in parts would be the fuel pump and the lines (not positive on that, but I'd do it anyway just to be sure, the engine is a dog if it doesn't get the proper fuel pressure). I'm not sure about the electrical or the drive train on this, so somebody else can weigh in if you need a different transmission, bell housing, etc. I'm pretty sure you'll need the wiring harness for the new engine as well. There's tons of posts about this on this forum, feel free to do a search.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
350 TBI heads (88-95 I think) are swirl port design (casting # ending in 193 or 191), the 2 intake bolts in the center on each side are drilled ~72* (see pic). They look like they're pointing straight up instead of angled like the front and rear ones. A Vortec TBI manifold is available but is quite expensive.

You must be registered for see images attach

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ What he said, 94 & 95 had an OBD1 (12 pin) comms with an OBD2 (16 pin) connector. Go with 96+ Vortec
I knew 95 was a ******* year for a few different reasons, honestly don't know all of them, but the OBD functionality is definitely something to note, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That engine is currently in my truck. It says VORTEC on the valve covers but is TBI.
"Vortec" is a GM trademark for engines used in light duty trucks. GM could have used it on engines installed in cars, but I don't think they ever did. First use of the Vortec name was in 1984 or 1985, for the 90-degree V-6 derivative of the SBC used only on light-duty trucks.

Far as I can tell, it was a GM Corporate reaction to using "Chevy" engines in non-Chevy vehicles, which got them sued a decade earlier. With engines branded "Vortec" instead of "Chevy", they could slap 'em in GMC or Pontiac or...whatever...and no one would *****. Much like Mopar doesn't sell Dodge trucks any more, they changed the branding from Dodge Ram to just plain ol' "Ram" so it could potentially be spun-off of Dodge dealerships easier.

Anyway, for ten years the only Vortec-branded engine I know of was the 90 degree V-6 in light trucks. In 1996, the V-8s in light trucks got the Vortec label, too--along with different/better cylinder heads and other changes.

What is the difference between that engine and the 94 and older ones?
Probably nothing, at least nothing major. I know they played games with balance shafts and stuff, but I don't know the time-line.

Do the 95 350s have the same Vortec designation?
I don't think so. I think the V-8s waited until '96 to get branded as "Vortec".

Looking to V8 swap in the future and want to know if I need an engine specifically from that year or not. Thanks.
Depends on how "stock" you want it to look and drive.

Shortest answer is "no".

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck has an OBD1 port and I have one of those little plug in deals that makes the CEL flash with trouble codes. No weird "OBD 1.5" connector like I've had in a few other 1995 GM vehicles.

I did some more research and apparently the 94 and 95 V6 engines got the CPI heads which account for a slight (10 or so) horsepower increase over the standard TBI heads. I'm not really interested in a TBI to Vortec swap at this time but that may change in the future. This motor has 230k miles and doesn't smoke or leak anything so it may be a while before and swaps occur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf