1995 Arctic Cat EXT 580 Build Thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ouch, I've never seen that happen before.

Those older ZR/ZL's 500 & 600 are known for having stator issues and the 98's had some crank issues, if I remember right there was a recall motor related to them. The motors work really good but suck the fuel and oil down. Great chasis though. If prices are anything like around here you could pick up a 02+ ZR with the better running boards and handlebars for well under $1000 more

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also its this one and he's asking 1,400
You must be registered for see images attach

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well i bought it. Brought it home yesterday and put it in the garage today for good inspection.

Only pics i have are when it was loaded in the truck.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice even a LE model! Depeneding on what A-arms you used on your ext you may be able to widen the front of the ZR. If I remember the numbers right the 98-99 ZR's had a 41" ski stance and the ZL's had a 43" ski stance. That's digging back in the brain a long ways now :lol:

The 98 pretty much used the same suspension and chasis as the last ZR's in 06, its a solid platform. I would defintly check the inner sheves on the primary clutch for any signs of cracking, there was a few years that they had a problem with defects. I had to swap one out on a 99 ZRT I had. Also check over the rear suspension rails for egged out holes.

Last edited:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup I can use all the suspension parts on this one. Even swapping the front suspension will be an upgrade.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
@1997chevydriver, where do you get your parts from? I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine on my '94 Wildcat. Stud flew out of the track, poked a hole in the heat exchanger, and toasted the engine.