1995 Silverado K1500 ECSB Starcraft Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammer_95

Reaction score
Running tires older than 10 years is risky business. I inherited my dad's truck after he passed. Three weeks after having the truck. The right rear blew out. Big bang. At 65 just before the turn off for home. The almost new looking Cooper tires had not blown but had stripped the whole length of tread off. It had whipped around bending the lower bed wheel well, small twist dent in bumper and smashing the right taillight.
My 19 year old son was riding with me, I think he almost pooped when that tread came loose and banged around. Me both hands on wheel maintain control less throttle slow stop. Get out look, tire still has air, no tread, only steel cord. First thought, " I bet that makes sparks at night". Drive 3 miles home. Thinking how much 4 new tires now.
According to the date code the tires were 14 years old. Cooper said over 10 , don't drive' em. Other manufacturers have similar guidelines. Another been there, done that.
I drove my Tahoe home 50 miles in 2018 on the original 1995 tires. It was a pucker fest to say the least.

Tonw07

Reaction score
A couple updates and pics.
The wife got into a hit and run accident, driver side front, so that was a long drug out ordeal that didn't end up very good with insurance but whatever.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bought some parts to get it back on the road. Where the bumper mounts go is just slightly tweaked but does not affect driveability in any way and confirmed with an alignment that nothing is out of wack there.

I picked up a free topper off of Craigslist in the correct color! Getting ready for a move.

Installed a brake controller then hauled a 16'+V enclosed aluminum trailer with all of our things in it 1,800 miles from WA to MN. It's amazing what these old half tons are capable of and I had no major issues, although it was very slow going at times, especially the mountain passes.

Tonw07

Reaction score
Looks like all you need now is a drivers side fender
That would get me good enough.
On the lookout for a whole front clip to get everything back to 100%. The radiator support is slightly out of wack, and the passenger fender even has as slight bow in it from the hood pushing into it. Hard to find anything without rust in Minnesota though..

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the lookout for a whole front clip to get everything back to 100%. The radiator support is slightly out of wack, and the passenger fender even has as slight bow in it from the hood pushing into it. Hard to find anything without rust in Minnesota though..
Dang. Sorry that this all happened. I worry about this too for my trucks. I guess that is the risk we take, not that that makes it any better. I hope you can find some rust free stuff.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make a trip to Abilene Tx. We have these things all over the place rust free.

Salty K1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hear you on that. I'm looking for front fenders and a door due to Minneaota winters. I'm not sure if I want to buy reproduction or look into getting rust free parts shipped up here.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Abilene TX junkyards. Lots of rust free steel here.
How much to beds go for down there? Also, if you don’t mind, do you know how much non-running but clean trucks usually go for? I keep thinking about just buying a parts truck for what I need and then selling the rest.