1994 4L60E function check/things to look for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReuahcsKire

Reaction score
So I bought a 1994 Z71 that I’m restoring as my first vehicle. The transmission is mine is bad, so I’ve been looking, and I finally found one.

I’m going to go look at it Saturday, the guy was nice enough to drop it out of his truck for me, since he was getting rid of the truck anyway. He says the trans was rebuilt 500 miles ago, and the engine in the truck blew, so it hasn’t been used since.

Can I function check these things, to make sure it’s working properly? Before buying, I’m going to check the transmission fluid, and make sure it doesn’t look or smell burnt, and check the seal where the drive shaft comes out, to make sure it was actually rebuilt. I’m assuming they’d replace all that when rebuilding it?

Anyway is there anything I should check for?

Thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Bout all you can do is to drop the pan and look for debris.

I haven't seen a transmission-testing rig since I was in Trade School. I suppose there must be a few out there in transmission shops--but I wouldn't know where to find one.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your best diagnosis is giving it a short drive, but since that's out, check the pan. Buy knowing it's going to be a crapshoot, and pay accordingly. If he can provide a receipt for the rebuild, that's evidence, but not proof.