1993 GMC Sierra TBI 5.7L V8 - don't have 5v to TPS!! Advice please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masher41

Reaction score
Getting Codes 22 and 34, TPS and MAP. Pulled plug off TPS and tested grey wire to battery -, I get 0.025VDC with key on and engine not running.

Here's my question:. I understand the 5VDC comes from the engine computer in the glovebox, but is there anything in the circuit between the computer and the TPS(other than the wiring) that I need to look at? Any advice on narrowing my trouble shooting efforts down?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the wiring diagram for your vehicle, find out everything on that circuit.

Trace the wires, you'll likely find a break or a ground.

MAYBE you have a failed computer that no longer produces that 5V signal. Possible, not likely.

masher41

Reaction score
Get the wiring diagram for your vehicle, find out everything on that circuit.

Trace the wires, you'll likely find a break or a ground.

MAYBE you have a failed computer that no longer produces that 5V signal. Possible, not likely.
Got the schematic, traced the wiring down, had continuity and no ground on wire, I conclude it's a bad ecu, got one on order. Noticed existing ECU is labelled "remanufactured", so we'll see what happens with new one.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you test for that 5-volt supply at the harness connector where it plugs into the ECU?

Did you disconnect the other sensors that receive that 5-volt supply? If one of the sensors had a short-to-ground, it'd disable the 5-volt supply to all the other sensors in that circuit.

masher41

Reaction score
Did you test for that 5-volt supply at the harness connector where it plugs into the ECU?

Did you disconnect the other sensors that receive that 5-volt supply? If one of the sensors had a short-to-ground, it'd disable the 5-volt supply to all the other sensors in that circuit.
no, I didn't check that but I will. thx for the tip!