1993 C1500 Silverado - Modernized Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I’d give an update on the progress. I have quite a list if things I’ve upgraded or are planning to upgrade…and the shipping boxes are accumulating.

Items already accomplished:

- Tune-Up: This was first thing as it hadn’t been run much in the last several years. Amazing what new plugs, distributor cap & rotor, new PCM valves, etc will do for a motor. Also ran fuel treatment through it carb cleanDr. It runs fantastic now!
- Then had the starter & AC go out so I decided to replace the other accessories. New Lightweight Power Master Starter, 140 Amp Alternator, Battery, AC conversion to R134A (unit already installed and final recharging scheduled for this Tuesday).
- Added the RAS Roadmaster Active Suspension to the rear end.
- Installed the Cunningham Machine steering shaft and Redhead steering box. Noticeable improvement here but still has a small dead spot that makes it hard to steer down the road. I’m taking it into the shop to have them take a look at the front end. FYI…have the same “squishy” noise others have reported after this install. Will be chasing that down.
- Repaired the inop cruise control with a new brake switch.
- Just yesterday, installed a new blower motor and flushed out the evaporator core.
- Installed new LED bulbs on the tail lights, turn signals & parking lights.

I think that’s it so far….I’ll post soon on the pile of boxes and parts that are sitting in my office for the interior refurb/upgrade!

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need Paint Suggestions! OK…need input from the GMT-400 community. I have my truck back from the shop with its new AC system. I’m scheduled in to have the body damage repaired on the lower corners and new paint applied. My plan is to keep the upper Teal color and paint a solid color from the teal to the bottom. Trying to figure out which color goes with the Teal. Anyone have pics of a teal/???other color combo? Picture below of another truck to show what I’m going for on the scheme (not color). FYI…camper shell will be replaced with a retractable tonneau and the bed will have a spray-in liner. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_6944.jpeg
    IMG_6944.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9419.jpeg
    IMG_9419.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need Paint Suggestions! OK…need input from the GMT-400 community. I have my truck back from the shop with its new AC system. I’m scheduled in to have the body damage repaired on the lower corners and new paint applied. My plan is to keep the upper Teal color and paint a solid color from the teal to the bottom. Trying to figure out which color goes with the Teal. Anyone have pics of a teal/???other color combo? Picture below of another truck to show what I’m going for on the scheme (not color). FYI…camper shell will be replaced with a retractable tonneau and the bed will have a spray-in liner. Thanks in advance!
I like the colour it is, just continue it down to the sills. It kind of ties in with the interior colour when the windows are down.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
If you're opening it up to suggestions...put it back to the OG 2-tone scheme. Teal is not the color I would attempt that type of 2-tone you have suggested.

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the colour it is, just continue it down to the sills. It kind of ties in with the interior colour when the windows are down.
Not a bad thought…the beige close up isn’t my favorite…but I’m starting to look at a cream variant that might look good. Going back original is still an option. It’s really a shame…the paint itself is in great shape…just too many dings that need to be addressed that are flowing over between the bottom teal color and beige. And matching the old colors seems to be quite a challenge. Thanks for the input!

John Young

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're opening it up to suggestions...put it back to the OG 2-tone scheme. Teal is not the color I would attempt that type of 2-tone you have suggested.
Spoke at length to the paint guy…he says matching the upper and lower teals would be a real challenge. If I were to repaint the upper and the lower…it’s basically a new paint job. If I do that I’d probably go to just one color. Thanks for the input!

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a teal truck too, I’ve tossed around the idea of (fords) wimbledon white. You’ll be able to get a paint code and touch up paint for it almost anywhere.