1991 C1500 TURBO 5.3/4L80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats my future goal.. but gotta build house before i can spend any more money on play stuff.
Only reason i wanted to get the HD was the fact that its pretty cheap and in good shape. Guy just didnt want to put any more money into it by paying someone to fix it and then try to sale it.
his CPA is giving him a hard time for trying to use it for a write off on the farm. So after he put new tires on it and a BW gooseneck hitch in it, he just wants to recoup some of his money to put in his hotrod.

So yea id really love to do a billet 69mm compressor with a 87mm turbine and use it for towing. But until then, the 75/83 will do.

Could just ching chong turbo the HD for now? GT45s are cheap lol that said if even the cheapest turbo isn't in the cards i'd probably swap like you're thinking.. The HD will need more power than the 1500.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ha i dont mess with the Chinese turbos. Had way too many problems with them.
Sure dont want to be a long ways from home and have the oil seals start puking oil.
Ive got almost 500,000 miles on a BW S475 and out of 25 or 30 setups we have done with BW turbos we never had a issue with them.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotta remember these guys that have the 'race cars' with Ching Chongs might create a little heat here and there but towing with a turbo gas burner, they get hot and stay hot for a long time.
Imagine towing a 22' enclosed trailer 1300 miles from south MS to north KY and back. It stayed in boost a really long time in them hills. Never had to unlock the TC in 4th gear tho with the 4L80E in my old half ton. It just screamed on along

I never monitored EGTs nor Oil Temp :)
Ill hook up some gauges on the HD just to see what they are doing.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Gotta remember these guys that have the 'race cars' with Ching Chongs might create a little heat here and there but towing with a turbo gas burner, they get hot and stay hot for a long time.
Imagine towing a 22' enclosed trailer 1300 miles from south MS to north KY and back. It stayed in boost a really long time in them hills. Never had to unlock the TC in 4th gear tho with the 4L80E in my old half ton. It just screamed on along

EGTs only tell you if your setup sucks and if it's locked in 4th your oil temp is fine.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Fair enough lol I wouldn't trust ching chongs on something that will be towing long distance, or doing anything over long distances lol BW turbos are awesome for sure.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EGTs only tell you if your setup sucks and if it's locked in 4th your oil temp is fine.
Thats true.
I had a ton of guys tell me i was going to beat the bearings to death keeping it locked in 4th gear. My engine is still kicking on along with oil pressure and no funny gold dust in the oil.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fair enough lol I wouldn't trust ching chongs on something that will be towing long distance, or doing anything over long distances lol BW turbos are awesome for sure.
I get request to tune setups quite often and when im going over their build details and they name off all the cheapest options it kinda bothers me.
One my buddy's talked me into helping him tune his twin turbo 5.3 in a old wagon. No name Chinese turbos of unknown size. 2nd pull the driver side exhaust starts hazing some smoke. 5th pull the passenger side exhaust is doing the same. by the time we got to the 10th pull we had to start adding oil to the engine. I gave up. Told him another buddy had some BW billet comp 62mm turbos for sale. Put them on his 5.3 and it was crazy at the power difference on just 12psi. Oh and no more oily wideband oxygen sensors.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get request to tune setups quite often and when im going over their build details and they name off all the cheapest options it kinda bothers me.
One my buddy's talked me into helping him tune his twin turbo 5.3 in a old wagon. No name Chinese turbos of unknown size. 2nd pull the driver side exhaust starts hazing some smoke. 5th pull the passenger side exhaust is doing the same. by the time we got to the 10th pull we had to start adding oil to the engine. I gave up. Told him another buddy had some BW billet comp 62mm turbos for sale. Put them on his 5.3 and it was crazy at the power difference on just 12psi. Oh and no more oily wideband oxygen sensors.

That's pretty damn wild lol