1991 C1500 in Florida

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tonight, since I had to turn the truck around in the garage, I took it for a drive through the hood. Holy crap what a difference the c-notch makes! The road is kinda rough, until you get to the main road in... it just glided right over all that so smoothly. Dare I say, much better than my 2014 Chrysler 300S...

I got a start on the front suspension, even though I'm still waiting on the springs to come in. They should be here Friday, but I have the kid this weekend, so I'm sure nothing will get done to the truck after Thursday night, until Monday night.

You must be registered for see images attach

After another inspection, I'm going to replace the sway bar bushings while I'm in there. They're shot. Need to order those, too. There are a lot of original parts in the front end, and they're still in great shape.

Last edited:

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got my MOOG replacement bushings in today, so I rolled up under the truck to see if they would fit. The answer to that is no... After a lot more measuring and removal of the sway bay, I was able to get the number 5344 off one of the bushings. When I searched it on the interwebs, I found out it is an Energy Suspension bushing that is part of a kit for the 88-99 C1500, with a 1.25" sway bar. Perfect, I ordered the kit from Amazon today which included the bushings, brackets, and end links.

Since the credit card was warmed up, I also ordered AC Delco remanufactured, coated front calipers. The existing calipers seem to work well, they are just really scrungy and rusty looking. I'm afraid if I push the pistons in for the new brake pads (and rotors) I got, they won't work well for long. I've had good experiences with the AC Delco rebuilt calipers on other GM vehicles, that's why I went with them.

With the sway bar out, I decided to go ahead and clean it up and repaint with some Duplicolor Cast Iron Gray, ceramic engine/caliper paint I had on the shelf. Turned out pretty nice!

If I have the time to mess with it again tomorrow night, I'll post it up!

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got back out to the garage tonight and tore the suspension apart on the right side, I think taking the shock out was the hardest, most time consuming part...

Interestingly, it appears that the front springs were not cut. They must be someone's drop springs, and they don't look very old. There's a marking on it, "COILS-A-10125-A". I could not find anything on that, on a web search, or any other markings on the spring. My guess is that it is a 2 or 3 inch drop spring for a car or vehicle that uses a shorter spring:

It did have the stock GM front spindles in it.

Well, that's it until Sunday or Monday night. By then I should have everything else in to put it back together.

Last edited:

Dirk Digler

Reaction score
Nice truck look forward to more progress and updates. I personally liked the look of the truck without the liner and cover. But it’s your bbq and the food’s good.

I don’t know if I missed it or if you haven‘t said.. what‘s your long term goals (paint match, different paint, interior, motor, one piece rear window etc…)?

I'm from the Mecca and beginning of sport trucks. One of the first trucks I bought was a 93 stepside and this was in 94-95 (I think it was Summer Going into junior year at high school ). The rear suspension I did flip, shackles, notch and hangers and front was spindle, drop springs and I cut the drop springs.

And no nobody bought it for me. I did very well in my frowned upon money making ways.

Last edited:

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Dirk!

I really don't have any long term plans. My goal is just a fun driver, kinda like my Buick, but it will see more action. Short term goal is to fix the things I do not like about it, for reliability and safety sake.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was kicking around the idea of replacing the ball joints while I had the front end this far apart. It would be far easier to do without the spindle, spring, and brakes in the way. The ones in there are not horrible, but I was concerned that they may be soon, plus they are the originals and the boots are getting rough. Playing on Amazon, I saw I had a credit for $50 from some stuff I returned. That sealed the deal, there are now new MOOG upper and lower ball joints on the way!

If one got worse down the road, I would be kicking myself for not replacing them now, for an extra $77, and a few hours labor.