1991 350 no crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was charging my ac at lowes and right when I got it fully charged, something blew out and all the freon leaked out. Scared the **** outta me. Turned it off after about 20 seconds once I realized what happened with a plume of freon filling the engine bay, and fired right up a few minutes later. Got home, and went to go back to lowes 4 hours later and now it wont start. Guages, radio and everything in cab works with key on, just wont engage starter or try to turn over.
Thoughts?

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Compressor for the AC may have seized. Pull the belt and see if it will crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If this is the issue, can I just get a "w/o ac belt" from rock auto and completely bypass the compressor like this? Or is more involved?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, and if the A/C clutch is still good, you can just unplug it and still run the correct belt.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was the high-side pressure when the system exploded?

If the compressor seized...so what? Disable the clutch, it should turn easily. It'd have to be something really spectacular to seize the compressor and wreck the pulley bearing.

I once had a failed CS130 alternator. Locked-up so bad the engine wouldn't crank. I could still hear the starter engage, the battery voltage dropped...no mistaking that the starter was working it's little heart out.

"I" would be looking at all the OTHER causes of "no cranking" that aren't necessarily related to the A/C. You know...failed starter, defective battery cables, popped "crank" fuse(s), broken/corroded wire to the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid, etc.

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was charging my ac at lowes and right when I got it fully charged, something blew out and all the freon leaked out. Scared the **** outta me. Turned it off after about 20 seconds once I realized what happened with a plume of freon filling the engine bay, and fired right up a few minutes later. Got home, and went to go back to lowes 4 hours later and now it wont start. Guages, radio and everything in cab works with key on, just wont engage starter or try to turn over.
Thoughts?
Can you hear a click when you turn the key or nothing at all?
I'm asking cause recently I pressure washed the chassis and after it wouldn't start. After a week of diggin it turned up to be...lose battery clamp-but not the one that sits directly on the terminal but the "red blob" that holds all other wires going out together. That screw was lose. I had power to everything(12v) and starter was clicking but it wouldn't turn-the current was strong enough to engage selenoid but not strong enough to turn the starrter motor. So my washing did something but in totaly different place than I was looking(my bet was on the grounds).
Also loud bang could indicate that one cell in the battery cracked-good chance the voltage would remain but would not give enough power to turn the starter.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the input. I finally had time to go and troubleshoot this morning, and the SOB cranked right up no problem. Cycled on and off a few times and started right up. Havent drove it yet, I will this after noon.

I didn't remove the belt, and no weird sounds coming from the belt and pulley system.

Seems some bad electrical connection. Or a sign of the starter going bad.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What was the high-side pressure when the system exploded?

If the compressor seized...so what? Disable the clutch, it should turn easily. It'd have to be something really spectacular to seize the compressor and wreck the pulley bearing.

I once had a failed CS130 alternator. Locked-up so bad the engine wouldn't crank. I could still hear the starter engage, the battery voltage dropped...no mistaking that the starter was working it's little heart out.

"I" would be looking at all the OTHER causes of "no cranking" that aren't necessarily related to the A/C. You know...failed starter, defective battery cables, popped "crank" fuse(s), broken/corroded wire to the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid, etc.

I think u may be on to something. I checked all the fuses and cables up top when it wouldnt start. Glanced down at the starter and it seemed pretty dirty. Havent checked those connections tho