1990 K2500 Better Days Ahead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Back when I did my headliner, I used a forum post on here from @sewlow to guide me through it. It gave me amazing results especially since it was my first headliner I’ve ever done.
Seeing as I can't shoot any your way anymore...
Thanks for the rep! Appreciate it.

O.G. :cool:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Got the headliner installed back in the truck today and all is done except the visors and those should be done by Friday or Saturday. Here is some pics of headliner:

You must be registered for see images attach

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Went to work on the new transmission cooling lines today. My girl got dirty with me and we had some fun and all went pretty well. You will see the old cobbled lines and the new lines installed. The rubber line with the band clamps is where I did a patch job from a leaking hose. The other was not leaking and still had the worm gear clamps on it. Before anyone says anything, I did save the band clamps.

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am also looking for input about the radio/cassette/equalizer not working. She said that when she first got the truck the radio worked fine and so did the clock. She never used the cassette or equalizer. Then she started running in to problems later. Had to hit the power button a few times to get it on and the same thing with other radio controls. But the clock still worked. Then she said that all of it stopped working, except for clock. Then one day, the clock stopped working. I have checked the fuse. Is good.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I am also looking for input about the radio/cassette/equalizer not working. She said that when she first got the truck the radio worked fine and so did the clock. She never used the cassette or equalizer. Then she started running in to problems later. Had to hit the power button a few times to get it on and the same thing with other radio controls. But the clock still worked. Then she said that all of it stopped working, except for clock. Then one day, the clock stopped working. I have checked the fuse. Is good.

Radio gradually getting worse, sounds like the soldered connections inside it are coming loose. All the Delco radios are bad about this; they're not really designed to stay together in a truck that bounces around as long as ours have.
Several years ago, we used to know some people who did radio, TV and electronics repair work. One of their guys had been to all the Delco training sessions, and he said even then, that it was getting hard to find the service parts for these radios. And this was probably 10-15 years ago.
Paging @AK49BWL, he knows way more about these radios than I do.....

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
More likely it died the all-too-common electrolytic capacitor death those old CDMs do - and yes, that's how they gradually stop working, generally the clock is last to go after staying at the same time for a while. There's a low chance of bringing it back to life by going in and replacing the caps, but tbh you're better off getting a 92-94 model CDM to replace it with as they have more updated components, and fewer electrolytic capacitors to go bad lol. Tho it would be a good idea to replace the few that ARE in there before putting it into service.

You can replace the CDM (which is next to the gas pedal) without having to replace the tape deck or head, it should work just the same (or at least it has in my various tests). You may notice better audio output from the newer version as well. How to tell the difference without opening it up? Well, part numbers are one way but a lot of the labels just fall off anymore. My way is to look at the heat sink. The older style just has a black heat sink with few fins and lots of holes through it. The newer ones are more silver with a lot more fins.

Or just look at my thread here lol https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-94-factory-stereo-info.48716/

Oh yeah and make sure you get one that works with the 5 band equalizer lol, that isn't as obvious if you're pulling one from a junkyard truck unless the tape deck is still in there.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
More likely it died the all-too-common electrolytic capacitor death those old CDMs do - and yes, that's how they gradually stop working, generally the clock is last to go after staying at the same time for a while. There's a low chance of bringing it back to life by going in and replacing the caps, but tbh you're better off getting a 92-94 model CDM to replace it with as they have more updated components, and fewer electrolytic capacitors to go bad lol. Tho it would be a good idea to replace the few that ARE in there before putting it into service.

You can replace the CDM (which is next to the gas pedal) without having to replace the tape deck or head, it should work just the same (or at least it has in my various tests). You may notice better audio output from the newer version as well. How to tell the difference without opening it up? Well, part numbers are one way but a lot of the labels just fall off anymore. My way is to look at the heat sink. The older style just has a black heat sink with few fins and lots of holes through it. The newer ones are more silver with a lot more fins.

Or just look at my thread here lol https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-94-factory-stereo-info.48716/

Oh yeah and make sure you get one that works with the 5 band equalizer lol, that isn't as obvious if you're pulling one from a junkyard truck unless the tape deck is still in there.
Really like the info and I have bookmarked this and the link and when I get to the radio concern, when weather is nicer, I will be back here.