1989 TBI Parts/Info Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I have the TBI unit apart from my other vehicle. My problem is I've screwed up the screws that hold the butterfly plates in. I was putting back together and I guess I didn't get the screw ends ground off properly. My question, does anyone know what size those screws are? I've been to my local nut and bolt emporium and they had nothing. I need new screws and probably a tap too..

You must be registered for see images attach

Treble

Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding my throttle body . What would be the reasoning for removing the butterfly dampers, And then grinding on the screws?

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding my throttle body . What would be the reasoning for removing the butterfly dampers, And then grinding on the screws?
None. I took mine apart to clean it. It was very crusty because before I parked the van with a transmission issue, it had a dead #6 cylinder. It had been a commercial van and it looked like the oil had never been changed. It was very bad. So, hindsight being 2020 I shouldn't have taken it apart ( but I did )You have to grind the end of the screws off if you want to remove the butterflies from the shaft. They have a little weld on the end of the threads so they won't back out and go through the motor.