12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Are you programming the scan tool to read data from the proper vehicle? Which, with a computer swap, may be the vehicle the computer came from instead of the vehicle it went into.

In my experience with a 411 in these trucks, the snappy will automatically pull up whatever the PCM is. It's been a while since I pulled ABS codes on the dually, but I swear I had to tell it it was the truck that it was to get it to tell me I had a fouled out front wheel speed sensor. I believe it was looking for a bus that didn't exist even though our trucks have rudimentary busses

Ksarge

Reaction score
Since we have a new 96 up Vortec subsection, I thought I would make a new post.

The 12200411 PCM can be installed into the 96 to 2000 GMT400 trucks simply by repining the PCM connector terminals. The wiring is slightly different between the 96, 97, and 98 to 2000 trucks. The 0411 PCM has a much faster processor than the Black Box PCM and has dual timing tables. There is also more support from the tuning software companies for the 0411. EFILive and HPTuners both offer "Custom Operating Systems" for the 0411 to support boost and or nitrous. The swap can be completed in about 2 1/2 hrs and is fairly easy to do. If anyone is interested in the swap just PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy. I will not post the files to the web.

Jeff
I'm interested in swapping my black box out for a 0411 swap.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I first had problems bleeding it the 2-man old fashioned way, but I think that's resolved with a bench bleed of the master. The book says you need a scanner like a Tech 2 to fully bleed it, so I borrowed a Snapon 2500 scanner. It said all kinds of contradictory things, like all wheel sensors are open circuit, then it's unable to communicate with the abs, and finally that the Abs is disabled, but the truck is still drivable. I emailed Black Bear to see if maybe my program has abs disabled but i haven't heard back yet. Is that possible?
Not possible. The ABS control module and PCM are completely separate animals, the only thing the PCM communicates to the ABSCM is the 128,000 pulse VSS output. In the OBDII connector there's the usual Class2 wire on Pin 2 that connects to both the PCM and ABSCM, and there's a second wire on Pin 12 that is for Serial comms with the ABSCM independently of any other system... At least on the 96-97 models, not too sure about 98+ as my wiring diagrams for the latter seems to contradict each other regarding this wire. On my 97 tho, the Tech 2 does in fact perform a proper bleed by cycling the valves and running the motor a few times. Not sure if there are any other tools out there that will do it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MT/MTG2500 with 6.2 software will collect data from a '97 but won't chatter the valves to do an auto-bleed.

8.2 software on a Solus Pro is the same. Collects data, won't auto-bleed.

Both of the above will auto-bleed an '03 Trailblazer, though.

14.2 software on a Solus Pro will collect data and auto-bleed a '97.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First, Ksarge, look at the thread right below this one that says 0411 contact for Lextech.

Thanks Schurkey and AK. The snapon I borrowed is an MTG2500. I got a Chevy troubleshooting manual with it the size of a phone book to read and see if it can do the bleed or not. I saw some youtube vids on bleeding without a Tech 2 that I will try once it's driving again.

AK how did you do the crank relearn? Do you have a Tech 2? And how do I know if I need the crank relearn and cam advance tests?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
First, Ksarge, look at the thread right below this one that says 0411 contact for Lextech.

Thanks Schurkey and AK. The snapon I borrowed is an MTG2500. I got a Chevy troubleshooting manual with it the size of a phone book to read and see if it can do the bleed or not. I saw some youtube vids on bleeding without a Tech 2 that I will try once it's driving again.

AK how did you do the crank relearn? Do you have a Tech 2? And how do I know if I need the crank relearn and cam advance tests?
When I first installed my 0411 it threw the P0300 within a few seconds, maybe a minute? or so of starting up. This, as I understand it, is pretty typical. It's been several years since I did my swap so I don't remember all the details, there may have been another code.... Anyway, friend of mine at the time had his HPTuners setup and did the relearn right then via VCM Scanner. I do however now have both a Tech 2 (a Chinese knockoff but it works well) and HPTuners.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine has idled for maybe 10 minutes total and has not thrown that code. Just a p0200 about an injector circuit.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yours may be happy to run as-is then. I just seem to recall it being a good idea to do the relearn whenever you swap a PCM. YMMV. Wouldn't it be great if the system could be a little more specific about what's up with the injectors? lol

damtruck98

Reaction score
Since we have a new 96 up Vortec subsection, I thought I would make a new post.

The 12200411 PCM can be installed into the 96 to 2000 GMT400 trucks simply by repining the PCM connector terminals. The wiring is slightly different between the 96, 97, and 98 to 2000 trucks. The 0411 PCM has a much faster processor than the Black Box PCM and has dual timing tables. There is also more support from the tuning software companies for the 0411. EFILive and HPTuners both offer "Custom Operating Systems" for the 0411 to support boost and or nitrous. The swap can be completed in about 2 1/2 hrs and is fairly easy to do. If anyone is interested in the swap just PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy. I will not post the files to the web.

Jeff
Yes please I have a 1998 4x4 5.7
And have lots of trouble with the o2 sensors and upgraded pcm would solve that
Cheers doug