00+ seats in an OBS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

capitlj

Reaction score
I have a 99 Suburban and had to replace my seat bottom, the previous owner had used duct tape and was super surprised when I told them the part was only like $100 and takes like an hour or two to change. So I did that and while I was in there I noticed the seat heater element was toast so I didn't bother cutting it out of the old seat cover and I have thus far been unable to find a replacement. Everyone keeps saying to just get a new (used) seat with a working one, and I don't want to do that, how long will that one last amiright, plus there's the hassle of trying to find a seat that isn't ripped up and is the same color etc. The other complaint I have about the driver's seat is the belt. It's pretty beat up, frayed, and it doesn't retract very well so I was wondering if anyone had tried swapping in the buckets from a newer truck. They have seat heater elements which can be replaced separate from the seat cover so replacements are readily available, and the seat belts are built into the seat back so I could eliminate the old ones. I know I'll have holes in the floor and b pillar trim to contend with but I can probably figure something out for that, the wiring probably won't match up, and I will have to mount the controls for the heater somewhere else, but I want to know if they will fit easy or if I'll have to fabricate mounts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LMC sells a seat heater kit. If you otherwise like the seat you could likely get one of those kits and tie it into the seat heater circuit. Instead of a used heater element that might be a good way to go. I have no experience with them other than noticing the kit for sale in the catalog, but that might be a possibility for you.

capitlj

Reaction score
LMC sells a seat heater kit.

The place I bought my seat cover from does too but I didn't k ow I needed it at the time or I might have just done it while I was in there. I figured I'd try to kill two birds with one stone as the seat belts are really starting to bug me.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The place I bought my seat cover from does too but I didn't k ow I needed it at the time or I might have just done it while I was in there. I figured I'd try to kill two birds with one stone as the seat belts are really starting to bug me.

My only problem with the built in belts is that the seats are in my opinion ugly. I would spend more money on replacement belts before I would install the seats with the built ins. That of course is only my own idea on the matter and your tastes may certainly be different.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wonder if the newer seats will be attached to the floor firmly enough to really work. The newer trucks were designed with that in mind. Ours were not.

drbizerk

Reaction score
I have installed the seats from a 2014 Silverado seats in my OBS and I currently have 2017 Chevy Trax seats in my OBS. The 2014 seats require putting new holes in the floor for mounting. If you don’t do a little fab work they will sit closer to the doors ( The distance between them is greater ). I found after installing four different sets of seats in my OBS... I like to use the original mounting location and to do that I’ll pick up a set of original seat mounts from the junkyard chop them off at the height I would like to be seated. Check positioning for things like the console or jump seat and seat belts. Don’t forget if you have an extended cab make sure the backseat passengers will have enough leg room. Next thing would be welding the brackets together and be sure that it’s done by somebody that’s certified because you damn sure don’t want It failing in a collision. You will want to disassemble the seats so you don’t catch anything on fire when welding and of course applying a finish after cleaning up your welds.