Woody's Black Z71 pic history

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Got my free 1500 emblems from Griffin today and snapped a pic of the PlatiDipped bump strips. Also fabbed my exhaust for the header to cat. The long tube collectors come too far back for the factory crossover location, so I had to bring it over between the tcase and the torsion bar crossmember. It's tight, but I've got about 1/2-3/4" in all directions for clearance, so it should be fine.

You must be registered for see images

Did you just Plasti-dip right over the chrome strip on top? I want to do that, but thought it would be better to get the chrome off first in case it didn't want to stick really well.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you just Plasti-dip right over the chrome strip on top? I want to do that, but thought it would be better to get the chrome off first in case it didn't want to stick really well.

Plasti dip will stick just fine with little to no effort prep-wise. That's another great thing about it. You literally don't have to sand anything down, just make sure it's smooth and clean and doesn't have dirt on it, because when you go to remove it the surface underneath will be exactly as it was but yea no need to scuff anything up. Just make sure it doesn't have dirt caked on and spray.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That chrome strip is actually a really thin chrome foil covered with a clear plastic coating. That clear layer was separating and on mine so I peeled it all off.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Woody - what are the "U" shaped pipes used for? I seen them in the third picture with the exhaust pipes.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Woody - what are the "U" shaped pipes used for? I seen them in the third picture with the exhaust pipes.

That's how you build the DIY exhaust. By getting mandrel bent U-bends you can cut them to the angles you need and then weld them together. It's handy to make a good free-flowing exhaust for cars without an aftermarket like my Beretta or the Camaro's custom x-pipe exhaust with cutouts.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Balls! Apparently I could use a new oil cooler adapter...I just spilled fresh new oil all over the floor.

I got the exhaust painted and put on and was checking for weld pinhole leaks and all was good so I gave it a couple revs to hear it. Apparently a few extra RPM was enough oil PSI to blow one of the cooler seals...

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Balls! Apparently I could use a new oil cooler adapter...I just spilled fresh new oil all over the floor.

I got the exhaust painted and put on and was checking for weld pinhole leaks and all was good so I gave it a couple revs to hear it. Apparently a few extra RPM was enough oil PSI to blow one of the cooler seals...

:nono: That blows but atleast you didn't break anything serious. A problem like this is nothing for a guy like you but me I'd be lost.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I'm taking down all the names of people who do cool **** with ease, like build your own exhaust! One day I will take a road trip and bang on doors begging for help to finish my truck!!!!!!!!!!

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Grabbed both new oil cooler lines and adapters so I can just do it once and be done with it.