Woody's Black Z71 pic history

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In 2009 I bought my truck as basically a rust-free beater from NC. 220k on it with a 350 TBI and 4l60e.

You must be registered for see images

Had to get rid of the god damn chrome. So I started with 95+ mirrors and a new grille since the old one was busted anyway.

Had no balls at all so I put a new exhaust on from the cat back and did the TBI & injector spacer and it was still pathetic...

Had trans issues when it was warm too. Fine cold, slipping warm. Ended up being the EGR wire plugged in to the 4LO switch by the PO...so it was calling the low range shift tables whenever the EGR should have been activated...hitting OD by 12mph! Didnt figure that out until I hooked it up to my laptop for a datalog. Once I fixed that the trans functioned correctly, but still wasn't quite right...so I knew I'd be replacing it some day.

Bought some Cragar Soft-8 wheels and used Goodyear MT/R 285s and the painted the bumpers. Put the Sport bowtie on too.

Then I beat on it for a year playing in the snow & mud and hauling drywall for the garage, etc.

So I cleaned it up before winter and shot it with some 2-part U-Pol Raptor liner at 70psi...that stuff is thick!

Trans died in the spring, so I yanked the drivetrain out. Tore down the engine and found out the 350 had been recently rebuilt with 305 heads and ash tray pistons. So I put some 12cc KB pistons in it with Vortec heads, Edelbrock intake and an LT1 roller cam conversion. So now it's a 9.7:1 Vortec 357 TBI.

Found a 94 K3500 parts truck, so I'm swapping in the NV4500/5spd and BW tcase along with the hydroboost 8600 calipers, etc.

And that's where I'm at right now. Just need to install the tcase, driveshaft and weld up exhaust between the headers and the new 3" I put in two years ago.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. It should be a whole new truck when it's done. Engine is expected to be about 300hp@4000rpm and 400tq@2000rpm, which has got to be 100hp/tq more than it was with the 8.7:1 305-head rebuild. That and the extra gearing of the NV4500 vs a wheezed 4l60e will be a big help. It drove me crazy before how gutless it was hauling or even just climbing hills unloaded.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude RESPECT!! Nothing ****** me off like a dude that knows what he wants, can get it, and has the skills to do it all! :D Of course, kidding. I'm not mad, but I envy the fact you do all of your own engine/drivetrain work yourself. Very interested in you data logging the TBI back when it was stock...I didn't think that we could hook up laptops to our motor since it was pre 96 and "dino age" CPU?? Please tell me more. I would love to put a data log on mine but not alot of people know about that sort of thing. I was told we can't have it tuned like the vortec guys so I though surely we couldn't hook up a laptop and watch everything...Anyway, big respect on what you've done. That engine looks perfect. I sent you a PM back about the 1500 emblems. Not sure where you live, I'm in Memphis but these gm400 guys on here are all like bro's, so they're your free.

jcloud

BaLlIn On A BuDgEt
Reaction score
Damn that looks sooo TIGHT! i wish i had the time to do all that to my truck but i only have my truck so id be **** out of luck with trying to do motor swaps,etc. Plus i work full time practically and do full time college

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice work, very clean. Nice to see someone go to this distance to keep a pretty well stock truck alive.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it's all good jcloud tho. Can't tell you how bad I want them skills. I've always wanted to be a fireman but Memphis is cutting pay, and firing so I've been thinking about going to school in the auto industry because I love working on trucks/cars so much just not sure what the best career choice would be.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it does kill a lot of your free time doing all the work, but that way you can get exactly what you want. I did the same with the Camaro & Beretta. haha

Southern Pride, all you need is an ALDL cable and TunerPro RT (free OBD1 software) to datalog. You can also modify the BIN file (computer tune) with TPRT, but you'll need something to burn chips with to apply the changes to the ECM. I got a Moates Autoprom which is kind of expensive because it's an all-in-one, but a Moates burner is pretty cheap.

http://www.tunerpro.net/
http://www.aldlcable.com/
http://www.moates.net/