My 2005 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have an NP8 246 transfer case and the shift from reverse to drive and drive to reverse is noisier than ever and the case is wet at the back and I do not believe it is the output shaft seal. I am convinced I have the pin hole leak problems. I knew it would show up eventually and I have reached out to @915_Tahoe, on my other @Shaggy Tahoe/Yukon forum, for availability. The reman part # is 24228420 and new part # is 24240015. I will put a new one in but I would assume a NOS part would have the problem in it that caused the pinholes in my old one. If the reman part has addressed the problem, I would prefer that instead.

Any input from members would be appreciated. I am not looking forward to being on my back swapping this out but I believe that it can be dropped without having to remove the crossmember for the torsion bars.

I had been hearing a metallic slight pop noise at the back area, that I was sure was a loose sway bar mount or trailing arm. I crawled under there and could not duplicate noise with my girl power braking in reverse and drive. I can pretty much make it do it when just pulling out end of driveway where it is bumpy. I see no loose attachments at trailing arms, sway bar, shocks, transmission/transfer case mount, cross member....etc. This noise is separate and I plan to lay a wrench/socket on everything back there and check tightness.

The transfer case leak/noise problem was found during the other noise inspection.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Closer inspection yesterday. Turns out my noise at the rear was a loose p/s sway bar link. Tightened and noise is gone.

I did have the noise at the back of transfer case but yesterday the noise was not as loud. I cleaned back half of t-case with brake clean and verified that the output seal has no leaks. Gonna monitor and check for leaks in a week. May not need t-case after all.

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have been checking since the clean up and so far, no leaks detected. I am sure something is gonna show up though. That leak I saw came from some place but the transfer case fluid is full.