My 1996 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarkVador96

Reaction score
Bought in GA 23FEB with 300,386 reads 315k now, the guy said motor was replaced at some point and trans was rebuilt idk how true it is but it ran decent not terribly bad but not the best. I bought a 98 454/4l80/np241 but sold the 454 and kept the trans/tcase, I won’t have time to do a proper swap until a later date and I can find another 454 but now leaning towards the Gen7 8.1 Vortec.

I’ve replaced the entire front suspension, New upper and Lower Control Arms(Astro Van lowers), Sway Bar and End Links, Front Shocks, Rough Country Leveling Keys, Red Head Steering QR Gear Box, Pitman Arm, Idler Arm and Bracket, Front Wheel Bearings, Plugs/Wires, Cap/Rotor, MAP Sensor, Mass Air Flow Sensor, IACV, Water Temp sensor, Oil psi Sensor, 4wd Switch, 4wd Actuator, Blend Door Actuator, Heater Core, Radiator/Upper&Lower Hoses, Alternator, Water Pump, Serpentine Belt/Tensioner, Ignition Switch, Multifunction Switch, Intake Manifold Gaskets Upper and Lower, TBI Gasket, MPFI Spider injection conversion has 100miles on it, Cunningham Upper/Lower Intermediate Shaft, Both Rear Shocks, Both Rear Axle’s/Bearings (Yukon), Diff Cover/Fluid 75w90, Front Rotors/Pads, Wheel Cylinders, Rear Drums/Hardware. It Runs 1000 times better, and extremely smooth at any speed until the wind blows over 10mph, I highway cruise around 80-95mph.

This was done to keep it running until I can park it and take my time with the swap, also sourcing interior parts has been frustrating. Looking for the rear hatch latch, and steering column mines is the source of my loose steering.

You must be registered for see images attach

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

DarkVador96

Reaction score
Thank you I’ve tried LMC truck, salvage yards and ppl parting these out. Eventually I’ll take measurements and buy an IdidIt steering column and go from there, the latch is what gets me I can source the cargo door components but I have the tailgate/liftgate version and it’s been close to impossible to find or the lift glass is busted out and you can’t access the parts off it.

ditch bang

Reaction score
Bought in GA 23FEB with 300,386 reads 315k now, the guy said motor was replaced at some point and trans was rebuilt idk how true it is but it ran decent not terribly bad but not the best. I bought a 98 454/4l80/np241 but sold the 454 and kept the trans/tcase, I won’t have time to do a proper swap until a later date and I can find another 454 but now leaning towards the Gen7 8.1 Vortec.

I’ve replaced the entire front suspension, New upper and Lower Control Arms(Astro Van lowers), Sway Bar and End Links, Front Shocks, Rough Country Leveling Keys, Red Head Steering QR Gear Box, Pitman Arm, Idler Arm and Bracket, Front Wheel Bearings, Plugs/Wires, Cap/Rotor, MAP Sensor, Mass Air Flow Sensor, IACV, Water Temp sensor, Oil psi Sensor, 4wd Switch, 4wd Actuator, Blend Door Actuator, Heater Core, Radiator/Upper&Lower Hoses, Alternator, Water Pump, Serpentine Belt/Tensioner, Ignition Switch, Multifunction Switch, Intake Manifold Gaskets Upper and Lower, TBI Gasket, MPFI Spider injection conversion has 100miles on it, Cunningham Upper/Lower Intermediate Shaft, Both Rear Shocks, Both Rear Axle’s/Bearings (Yukon), Diff Cover/Fluid 75w90, Front Rotors/Pads, Wheel Cylinders, Rear Drums/Hardware. It Runs 1000 times better, and extremely smooth at any speed until the wind blows over 10mph, I highway cruise around 80-95mph.

This was done to keep it running until I can park it and take my time with the swap, also sourcing interior parts has been frustrating. Looking for the rear hatch latch, and steering column mines is the source of my loose steering.

ditch bang

Reaction score

Man that's a nice truck I had an 85 with a straight axle but I like the way these ones ride if you don't mind me asking how much did you have to give for that ?

DarkVador96

Reaction score
ditch bang , sorry for the late reply but I gave 5k but I had to replace a lot of parts to bring the maintenance to my standards. But the 73-88’s I’m a huge fan of I always liked those year K-series.

Last edited:

DarkVador96

Reaction score
Got my seats, carpet, speakers, sound deadening and trim pieces back in today. Went with a sporty-ish seat because I like my seats to hold me in place and not slide around. They’re the same front and back before someone say’s “Why not get low backs or get the front and bench seat reupholstered”. Simple it’s MY truck and the cost my guy, everything mounts in the OE location front to back. I couldn’t use the passenger frame because it was too narrow so I made my own. But they fit and hold me and my passengers in place very nicely lol. Don’t mind my front door panels I’m going to redo them and my dash with a modern update I like old cars but not dated interiors. And don’t mind the weapon I’m ex-military so yea lol.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got my seats, carpet, speakers, sound deadening and trim pieces back in today. Went with a sporty-ish seat because I like my seats to hold me in place and not slide around. They’re the same front and back before someone say’s “Why not get low backs or get the front and bench seat reupholstered”. Simple it’s MY truck and the cost my guy, everything mounts in the OE location front to back. I couldn’t use the passenger frame because it was too narrow so I made my own. But they fit and hold me and my passengers in place very nicely lol. Don’t mind my front door panels I’m going to redo them and my dash with a modern update I like old cars but not dated interiors. And don’t mind the weapon I’m ex-military so yea lol.
Those are sweet, I assume they come in different colors. That style is kinda what I'm looking for. If I don't get mine redone.
Where did you get those bad boys?
And if you don't mind sharing, what was the financial damage?

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it, and am impressed that you are committed to "your style" as it gives your truck a unique look that reflects your own taste. I can't wait to see the next stage.