What are things I can do to get better MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The biggest thing you could do is a tune up but really even better is gears...Think about it the gears decide exactly how hard that engine will work to turn your tires and if you pick the right ones you can get the best mileage possible but it depends if you want that good city or highway mileage because a gear will generally be better at one or the other.

I get 16mpg consistent on highway pulling a trailer with the truck in my sig cruising about 70-75 4.56 gear/37" tires. Without gears lifted trucks really would be useless.

mxw737

Reaction score
ok well i figured i was pretty screwed they are trucks after all and we all have huge lifts and big rims so we probably cant get good mpg. but 350 isnt so bad Vigh_J I only get 300 per tank. How big is your tank? im guessing mine is 22 gallon?

mxw737

Reaction score
damn you get 16 with a lift? But how expensive is getting new gears in a trans or in a rearend cause im not looking to spend tons to get 2 better mpg

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You can also swap the fluids in the crankcase, tranny, & rear end over to synthetics. They are proven to free up horse power, & increase mileage. 2-3 mpg. Not cheap stuff, but, you can go 3-4X longer between fluid changes. So these two benefits will offset the extra fluid costs.The only problem with synthetics is that, if you have any kind of leak, this stuff WILL find it. Even if your truck has no leaks now, the stuff is so slick & fine that it may start to sweat fluids when it never did before.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OBDII use a "tune" rather than a chip, in that the PCM is reflashed with new software instead of having an actual chip burned and installed in your ECM. Black Bear and Wheatley are two that still do mail order tunes for our trucks, so I would check them out.