What are things I can do to get better MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Is a tune on a 18 year old truck with 181,*** miles on it worth the money? Isn't this expensive? Thought chips were $200 + and cant imagine how much to tune.

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just have a hand held one... asks... rev limiter, speed limiter, what gears, what size tires etc... then stock mode, tow/haul mode, performance mode to choose from.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
So it's not a shop/mechanic thing. That's interesting. Where do you get a hand held tuner?

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any parts store should be able to get you one, or any performance web sites.

illinoisboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well yes Vigh can have a hand held tuner because his truck has a OBD2 computer meaning that he can plug his tunner in and change things but on the 94 and older (possibly 95) you have a OBD1 computer that has to have the actual chip put in the computer. There are other chips that you can look on summit and such truck performance websites.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Damm the OBD1!
Love using a paper clip to check engine codes though

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
What chip should mxw737 use in his '96? Feeling guilty about the thread jack :shrug:
What chip should be used in my '93 ('94 and older)?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like some feedback from you guys about what I can do to get better MPG im getting about 14 now, ive heard electric fans and cold air intakes but I want to know specifics for our year Truck. Thanks

Like the other guys have said, these trucks do not get great fuel economy, nor were they ever designed to. That being said, you can do a few things to improve your mileage...

1. Easiest (or hardest) thing first: tame your right foot! Good acceleration generally equals bad fuel economy. Steady state cruising at moderate speeds (think highway) are where the greatest fuel economy will be obtained, as it has mostly to do with engine load vs speed. Look up some information on hypermilers (crazy people who do anything and everything to squeeze fuel economy out of their chosen vehicle) and adapt some of their tactics to your driving style. You would be surprised what that will gain you. Changing your driving style is also free, and free is good.

2. Vehicle maintenance: Your truck needs to be in tip top running condition to get anything resembling its best possible fuel mileage. Assuming that the rest of your drivetrain is in good working order (transmission, differentials), a complete tune up including plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, MAF cleaning, PCV cleaning, and fuel system cleaning are in order. These are maintenance items and should be done for best economy AND performance, so it's worth your while to check them out.

3. Cd & rolling resistance: You need to have your tires properly inflated at all times. Your 22" wheels are hurting your performance, if anything. For best mileage, consider switching to a 15" or 16" wheel with a fairly narrow tire (235's were factory, 205's are possible) to decrease rolling resistance and rotating mass. Lowering the truck can, theoretically, increase economy by decreasing frontal area and consequently wind resistance. This gain is probably so small as to be considered trivial, but hey, it's something to think about.

4. Upgrades: CAI, long tube headers, underdrive pulleys, roller rockers, and a towing cam could all potentially help economy. All of these items help the engine move air in and out more efficiently and decrease frictional losses, thereby freeing up horsepower and, more important, decreasing the amount of fuel necessary to make power. Assuming you don't go too wild with the cam and tune, you could gain several MPG's off these items alone. Of course the cost of the upgrades will outweigh any decreased fuel costs for many, many miles... but it will be more fun to drive!

Mix and match as you see fit. Good luck!