I need mental help!!! What should I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Your truck looks great! Another consideration is once you dig in you'll get scratches, dings, etc from doing the engine/trans swap. Just par for the course of wrenching that far in, no matter how careful you are it'll happen.

Maddmatt

Reaction score
Hey guys . Thanks for all the responses. I'm taking them to mind. Still a lost puppy.

Maddmatt

Reaction score
I have a complete good running Chevy express 3500 with the Ly6 and 4l80e with all the goodies. No check engine lights!
I like to do things right the first time and I'm having a hard time finding a motor guy to go thru it. And a tranny guy.

Russ B

Reaction score
Just run what you got appeals very strongly to my lazy side.
Let sleeping dogs lay!!! However if he is a glutton for punishment, let him run wild and learn from it. In the end he will have thrown good money after bad and have a truck not worth any more than when he started, possibly less if it does not run right. My advice would be to sell what he has and use the money to buy what he wants. Customization is just for personal satisfaction, but generally does not appeal to others who will say WTF is that.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let sleeping dogs lay!!! However if he is a glutton for punishment, let him run wild and learn from it. In the end he will have thrown good money after bad and have a truck not worth any more than when he started, possibly less if it does not run right. My advice would be to sell what he has and use the money to buy what he wants. Customization is just for personal satisfaction, but generally does not appeal to others who will say WTF is that.
Oh contrare mon capiton. A well done custom brings good money these days. 40yrs ago customs were a dime a dozen and everyone wanted bone stock originals,not anymore. It's easy to "buy" something that is already built but a hell of a lot more fun doing it yourself.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
my opinion;
1) a horsepower engine has a substantially different torque curve than a torque engine.
2) I love stock, or near stock because of the ease of service - no custom crap to contend with, and pretty much everything is available at any auto parts store.

I totally get the wanting of more power;
I have contemplated this myself - but that brings me back to point #2.

I have considered a vortec head swap, with a slightly larger cam, and the GMPP TBI to vortec heads intake... but for now my truck is running like a top, and the old adage is - don't fix it if it ain't broke;
Add to this that I recently returned from a trouble free 1,600 mile round trip.

I figure if the engine needs to be replaced, I will do a 350, with a slightly larger cam, vortec heads, and hte tbi to vortec heads intake - but until that time, I'm just going to leave it as is...

Do you want to retain the OEM computer ect?
Do you like functioning cruise control?

I think that if you did a fairly basic 350 swpa, so that it was plug & play, you might only need to exchange the EEPROM out of your trucks original ECM....

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I vote for a383 create motor and elb flash so you can tune it yourself to run to full potential. The 383 should have a ton of torque and be a fun ride. Nothing wrong with the ls but they lack torque down low. Fun in a toy with a loose converter but a pain for a driver. 383 and elb flash would be a really nice combo. Very nice truck by the way