What torque converter should I pick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tow with a stock diameter custom built converter that flashes 2,900 rpm behind my 383. Drives as tight as the stock 4L80E B82 converter until I romp on it.
Lots of variables involved in it. Towing more load you'll get more stall, more traction you'll get more stall, big duration =less power down low you get less stall with the same converter. Most custom converters include one free re-stall if it's off. His cam 106 lsa in @102. Idk, have run cams like that in @100 to make them less doggy down low. +2 on cam timing. At 2k rpm he might not even be making stock tq. numbers.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of variables involved in it. Towing more load you'll get more stall, more traction you'll get more stall, big duration =less power down low you get less stall with the same converter. Most custom converters include one free re-stall if it's off. His cam 106 lsa in @102. Idk, have run cams like that in @100 to make them less doggy down low. +2 on cam timing. At 2k rpm he might not even be making stock tq. numbers.
I ran the 106 LSA cam I had in my 305 on a 98 ICL to keep low-speed punch. So I get it.

Mbosse

Reaction score
I tow with a stock diameter custom built converter that flashes 2,900 rpm behind my 383. Drives as tight as the stock 4L80E B82 converter until I romp on it. At idle at 750 rpm, let off the brake and it crawls forward as easily as the stock converter. Around town, 1,000-1,500 rpm it couples well and moves around just fine. That is also in a 7,000 lbs Express van with a 4L85E and tall 3.73 gear. Lay into it and it breaks the rear tires loose easily despite 3,700 lbs on the rear axle.
Appreciate all the input you guys sure are using a lot of big words. If I go custom built do you have any recommendations for who to have do that for me?

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yank makes a good converter, and they used to be local to me, not sure if they still are.
He hand made them to order.

Last edited: