Torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaPsmear

Reaction score
I have a 1990 k 1500 4x4….all of a sudden it will not shift….is it possible that the torque converter is bad? long story short torque converters about 250 bucks vs a new transmission. I might and that I sank it in the creek motor and tranny both I drained motor and tranny fluid right after and hell it’s lasted about a year now. The last time I change the fluid and filter the tranny fluid was pink not really sure what’s going on…

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1990 k 1500 4x4….all of a sudden it will not shift….is it possible that the torque converter is bad? long story short torque converters about 250 bucks vs a new transmission. I might and that I sank it in the creek motor and tranny both I drained motor and tranny fluid right after and hell it’s lasted about a year now. The last time I change the fluid and filter the tranny fluid was pink not really sure what’s going on…
Impossible to say with the information you provided.

What exactly does "will not shift" mean? Describe exactly what it's doing or not doing.

For example: "My 1990 K1500 4x4 was driving and shifting normally until the other day. When i put it in "Drive" it wouldnt move, feels like its in neutral. I also have no movement in D3, 2, 1 or reverse".

Last edited:

PaPsmear

Reaction score
Impossible to say with the information you provided.

What exactly does "will not shift" mean? Describe exactly what it's doing or not doing.

For example: "My 1990 K1500 4x4 was driving and shifting normally until the other day. When i put it in "Drive" it wouldnt move, feels like its in neutral. I also have no movement in D3, 2, 1 or reverse

Okay so drove it to work about 25 miles when i got to work i tried to back in and nothing...so i trailered it home reverse is totally out im almost certain gears 1 and 2 shift but will not go into 3rd....

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay so drove it to work about 25 miles when i got to work i tried to back in and nothing...so i trailered it home reverse is totally out im almost certain gears 1 and 2 shift but will not go into 3rd....
Ok...Sounds like you have lost the 3-4 clutch pack and possibly reverse input or low reverse (if you can move forward in manual low (i.e. '1' on the column shifter) then your rev input clutches are shot).

Drop the pan to drain the fluid and confirm the presence of burnt clutch material then put the pan back on with a few bolts...Yank it out for overhaul.