What to do??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strict emissions kills the whole deal.
Beat me to it.

The FIRST thing you need to do is to find out what is legal in your area. California, for example, automatically fails any vehicle with a "tuned" computer.

I'm fairly sure that if you swap in a newer engine, you have to swap-in ALL the emissions-control devices that engine would have been equipped with in it's donor vehicle.

Point is, you need to talk to the emissions police to find out what you can get away with, before you spend one dollar on modifications.

Spending money to repair problems and get back "lost" horsepower due to wear or failure of parts is another story.

As always, I'd be doing a TOTAL inspection and repair as needed, of the steering, suspension, and brakes before doing anything to the engine or the rest of the driveline.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm an as and I would drop and old school SBC with a stand alone efi and tell them all to kiss my backside. Now I live in Texas the part without all the emissions B&S but I think with the stand alone EFI you can get it to pass with a little programming.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm an as and I would drop and old school SBC with a stand alone efi ... ... I think with the stand alone EFI you can get it to pass with a little programming.
Instantly fails the visual examination, and when they try to scan via the diagnostic connector. Won't even get to the part where they cram a sniffer in the exhaust.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm an as and I would drop and old school SBC with a stand alone efi and tell them all to kiss my backside. Now I live in Texas the part without all the emissions B&S but I think with the stand alone EFI you can get it to pass with a little programming.
Yes , more than half on here would like to go that route. There's just one little problem , no pass = no new vehicle tags. How long would you drive without current tags.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes , more than half on here would like to go that route. There's just one little problem , no pass = no new vehicle tags. How long would you drive without current tags.
I understand we are all caught up in the poop they are trying to feed us and some of us seam to be much deeper in it. I also would like to say that I tag my vehicle every two years weather I need to or not. That's just the way I do things then again I haven't renewed my license since 2019 but I figured I've given them money for 46 years and I have just north of 5 million miles driven so I'm sure I have enough practice so I will pay the ticket. Then again I'm not in a hurry to get any where

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Uh, they give you a ticket. But your walking home. They will take whatever you driving, and tow it away. And if you don't pay those fines. Your vehicles will stay in jail and so will you.
You do realize your playing against the house, their rules and their deep pockets.
Just so you know. Not all of us have the luxury to " give the man the finger ".
Do you have auto insurance? The insurance companies do audit your license, vehicle registrations. This is the time we live in, are we happy about it? Oh hell no. Smaller victories can lead to winning the war. Veni Vidi Vici