What to do??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CK99

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1995 GMC with over 350,000 miles on it. Oddly enough it runs fine but reality tells me I should be prepared when it dies. I'm 74 years old but can still turn wrenches, crawl under cars and lift heavy parts. I've built lots of hot rods in my day and way back used to work in a machine shop. Drag racing, circle track, etc. are also in my experience, even crewed on a top fuel car about 50 years ago. (that was right after I sold my covered wagon!) Here's the rub....for about the last 25 years I've only worked on my boat and my 72 Chevy pickup, neither of which have fuel injection. I know my way around a Holley carb but have next to no knowledge of modern fuel injection. Old school Hilborn, Enderle....yes...modern stuff, no.
Been reading up on TBI vs. Vortec and LS swaps, etc. and while they sound great, this is going to be a daily driver. I also live in a state with strict emissions laws so I don't want to build something that will cause me headaches at registration time. Still however though I'm an old geezer, once a hot rodder, always a hot rodder so while I'm at it, I'd like to add a little power.
Assuming it dies before I do, what would you guys suggest if I were your grandpa?
1. Rebuild the current engine and call it a day?
2. Swap in a Vortec and use an adapter to mount the TBI?
3. Switch the whole deal over to Vortec including the injector?
4. Swap in an LS?
Looking forward to your responses.
Have a great day guys!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If rebuild you can punch it up to 383. A little more beans. A Vortec block, by adapter you mean a conversion manifold?
Wouldn't it more efficient to go complete eng , fuel and controls, turn into a 96 repower.
I face the same challenges, CALIF central valley.

CK99

Reaction score
If rebuild you can punch it up to 383. A little more beans. A Vortec block, by adapter you mean a conversion manifold?
Wouldn't it more efficient to go complete eng , fuel and controls, turn into a 96 repower.
I face the same challenges, CALIF central valley.
Somewhere I saw what looked like a carb spacer but I believe it was designed to bolt the TBI on another manifold.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep it TBI,flow the heads,port match and put some long tube headers on it with better exhaust. You will have to learn how to tune OBD1 if you do anything above stock. You can practice tuning it in stock form but if you have a heavy right foot(like me)you will probably kill it with 350,000 miles on it already.

Reaction score
Uh,if LS's were so strong why do small blocks hand them their ass at the track. My sis-in-law has a 6.0,13mpg is not good gas mileage.
You’re saying a stock TBI small block beats a stock 6.0 ls ? 13 is bad my mom has a 300k mile Denali Yukon with a 6.0 and it averages 16 . Much better than my 12 out of the TBI small block .