What to do with my old A/C thread #10425

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IF you can find it, the REAL r12 Freon I’ve seen $60-80 for a 12oz can. Freeze12 and a bunch of the “substitutes” are just that, Substitutes and don’t provide the performance Freon does.

I’ve used a bunch of GPD hvac stuff and have had no issues.
I have used Four Seasons, GPD and UAC. Seems most stuff most come out of the same plants in China anyway. Every condenser made for the 80s G20 van now is the same wrong design. I have seen the same stampings on parts from all 3 brands.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
After considering the scroll compressor performance issue I was unaware of, I'm more tempted to go with a traditional R4 (but new, from AC Delco for the 2 yr warranty), or go ahead with the Sanden conversion. I personally believe it *should* fit with those same simple adapter brackets, but in the event it doesn't, I'll be the one stuck with restocking and shipping fees...so unless I can get one of the suppliers to confirm it'll work, it may be a no-go.

EDIT ... after a bunch of looking it seems like the Sanden conversion brackets only work with the aluminum accessory drive bracket. Mine is a combination of steel with a few cast iron pieces.. bleh. I think I need to keep this simple and stick with the R4 compressor.

Richard

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After considering the scroll compressor performance issue I was unaware of, I'm more tempted to go with a traditional R4 (but new, from AC Delco for the 2 yr warranty), or go ahead with the Sanden conversion. I personally believe it *should* fit with those same simple adapter brackets, but in the event it doesn't, I'll be the one stuck with restocking and shipping fees...so unless I can get one of the suppliers to confirm it'll work, it may be a no-go.

EDIT ... after a bunch of looking it seems like the Sanden conversion brackets only work with the aluminum accessory drive bracket. Mine is a combination of steel with a few cast iron pieces.. bleh. I think I need to keep this simple and stick with the R4 compressor.

Richard
Yea I have never tried them on the steel brackets, I never liked that design and always replaced them with the aluminum setup on the stuff I have had. The G20 I am working on is no exception, that horshoe metal garbage came off as soon as possible. It has Vortec brackets. I sold the 6.0L with the scroll R4 still attached. Probably a wise choice to avoid the scroll. Then again it might have worked better with an even smaller orifice tube. I had planned to try a Green Dodge 0.047" tube with it, but I hated the 6.0L so bad it had to go. I am going to give the well used Valeo a go on the 87, was on my 97 from 2006 until I just pulled it off with the 383 swap. Still blew ice cubes on the 97.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My 2 cents - Any compressor will cool enough so that you will realize the weak point is air flow through the vents. These trucks just don't move enough air.

Being a single cab will help.
I've owned a few of these trucks with working A/C in the past ;) from single cabs to extended cabs to crew cabs to Suburbans..

Cleaning all the crud that collects in the evaporator core fins goes a long way towards better airflow.

Richard

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
traditional R4 (but new, from AC Delco for the 2 yr warranty
I’m in similar situation with my weekend truck. Compressor went bad, already 134a. I was thinking to do the simplest and was looking for R4 replacement. I couldn’t find an AC delco on Rockauto. The online GMparts just sent me to a dealer. Where did you find one with the warranty?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me more about those scroll compressors. You say they have less drain on the motor which relates to better MPG's. No reciprocating parts? Seems that would make them last longer and be able to withstand higher RPM's like when passing a truck.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tell me more about those scroll compressors. You say they have less drain on the motor which relates to better MPG's. No reciprocating parts? Seems that would make them last longer and be able to withstand higher RPM's like when passing a truck.
Yes they have less drag, better fuel mileage would be the result as well as better power and they withstand a lot of rpm.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is a house unit, but an automotive unit is built the same way.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 2 cents - Any compressor will cool enough so that you will realize the weak point is air flow through the vents. These trucks just don't move enough air.

Being a single cab will help.

Never had an issue with them moving airflow, something else is wrong if you do. Aftermarket blower motors are junk in the GMs. Realized that after I replaced an aftermarket one that had to be installed on a trip from a chain parts store with a Genuine GM on the van. The old GM blower had gotten weak and it was not apparant that the replacement was weaker than the GM one, but when I put a new GM one in, it blows like crazy. My 99 Tahoe blows like a hurricane and all I did on that one is clean out the evaporator core.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’m in similar situation with my weekend truck. Compressor went bad, already 134a. I was thinking to do the simplest and was looking for R4 replacement. I couldn’t find an AC delco on Rockauto. The online GMparts just sent me to a dealer. Where did you find one with the warranty?
My mistake on the brand; sorry! It's "GM Genuine" # 1520189 currently $239.79, 2yr warranty, https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=83164&cc=1147801&pt=6628&jsn=479 same one is listed for a 1994 model and would be the same up through 1995.

Yes they have less drag, better fuel mileage would be the result as well as better power and they withstand a lot of rpm.
My TBI 7.4 isn't in any danger of over-revving the A/C compressor.. if I crank it beyond 5K I think I might end up with bigger things to worry about. ;)

Never had an issue with them moving airflow, something else is wrong if you do. Aftermarket blower motors are junk in the GMs. Realized that after I replaced an aftermarket one that had to be installed on a trip from a chain parts store with a Genuine GM on the van. The old GM blower had gotten weak and it was not apparant that the replacement was weaker than the GM one, but when I put a new GM one in, it blows like crazy. My 99 Tahoe blows like a hurricane and all I did on that one is clean out the evaporator core.
Yes!

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these the ones they call lightweight? When I googled GM R4 scroll type compressor these lightweight compressors popped up but no mention of a scroll impeller.