What to do with my old A/C thread #10425

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys can tell yourself whatever you'd like - if you get into one of these trucks with everything working perfectly, then get into something like my 2015 F150 and compare - the HVAC in the gmt400's just doesn't move much air. It is a poor design.

The gmt400 has many strong points, but the hvac is not one of them. This is common knowledge among the people that actually use these trucks often, and also use other vehicles to know the difference.

Vent temps under 40, new ac delco fan on high. It is only ok.

I have been in the newer trucks and owned them, the AC in my Tahoe rivals both generations of Titans I have had and has strong airflow out of the vents. I have been around these since they were new, as designed they have great airflow. The van exceeds the newer trucks on a 100°F day, it has 2x as many dash vents. I have had 6 people in the van freezing with the rear unit off. I was badly sunburned and had the dash air cranked up on high fan speed and recirculate for 3 hours. Its was in the lower 60s inside the van. My aunt had a 97 Yukon from the time it was 2 years old and it would blow your hat off in airflow. The evaporator core, vent doors ans foam seals in the ventilation ducts are all places to check if they do not blow well. I use aluminum duct tape around all the ventilation duct joints on everything I go into.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I too have been around these trucks since they came out, and have owned several, some new, some old.

I disagree with you.
Well disagree if you want, but I will tell you on the van and Tahoe once they cool down a bit, I usually only have to run the blower on the 2nd step up from low to stay cool. My brothers 99 Suburban was the same way. My buddies 95 extended cab you can go down to low fan speed and stay cool. My sisters 2014 Silverado has the most uncomfortable ac system I have ever been around. The back seat passengers are sweat covered by the time you get where you are going. It does not have enough vents in the dash to move enough cool air. It has always been like that. It was a bit low on refrigerant and had a dirty cabin filter, both of which I corrected while she was in town to help my young car seat riding nephew, but it was still an uncomfortable ride even in the front seat.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys can tell yourself whatever you'd like - if you get into one of these trucks with everything working perfectly, then get into something like my 2015 F150 and compare - the HVAC in the gmt400's just doesn't move much air. It is a poor design.

The gmt400 has many strong points, but the hvac is not one of them. This is common knowledge among the people that actually use these trucks often, and also use other vehicles to know the difference.

Vent temps under 40, new ac delco fan on high. It is only ok.
This is a GM forum,we really don't give a rats ass about your F*ckin' Ol Rebuilt Dodge.

When I got my truck it had weak airflow out the vents and I found out why when I replaced the dash. The foam seal where the vents seal to the airbox was old and shrunken. It was blowing plenty of air but most of it was spilling out behind the dash. I fixed it with 1" wide by 3/4" thick sticky back foam strip from Ace hardware. Blows a gale out of the vents now.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a GM forum,we really don't give a rats ass about your F*ckin' Ol Rebuilt Dodge.

When I got my truck it had weak airflow out the vents and I found out why when I replaced the dash. The foam seal where the vents seal to the airbox was old and shrunken. It was blowing plenty of air but most of it was spilling out behind the dash. I fixed it with 1" wide by 3/4" thick sticky back foam strip from Ace hardware. Blows a gale out of the vents now.
That is my point exactly, the blow like a gale when they work as designed.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hook em up to a 7000 lb camper, drive hard for 8 hrs while it is 90+ and sunny, then report back. Don't even think about adding a cabin filter, as your weak air will be even weaker.

My main point to this is that as long as a guy has a decent compressor and all of your ducts/doors work correctly, that is about all that you can do. It'll work ok.

The cab is insulated poorly, the windows seal poorly, the air box doesn't flow enough, etc.. The heat usually seems awesome, cause the drivetrain heat helps to warm the cab.

Op knows all of this already though, as he has bolted a bunch of these projects together in the past.
I do hook up to a heavy camper, both the Van and Tahoe have towed it.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to town earlier with the A/C on Med fan and Rec. Bout halfway there I had to turn the fan to low and turn the vents away from me,I was freezing my ass off.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
For what it's worth the A/C in all our late model F-word F450SD work trucks suck, and they're single cab trucks. They start blowing warm the moment you sit idle in traffic/at a light, then once you get moving they eventually get too cold and I'm constantly having to jack with the stupid temperature control knob. They've been like this since brand new.

This argument is dumb..

Richard

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the '95 and '98 that I drove off of the showroom floor had bad foam too? You guys crack me up.
Well GM was not exactly known for the best build quality then or even know. GM factory quality tanked in the mid 70s and never has recovered. My van was at a GM dealer a total of 6 times the first year we owned it for recalls and problems. From an inadequate engine cooling fan, to a battery that lasted a year before the positive post fell out of it, to a leaking compressor and a bad master cylinder.

Last edited:

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For what it's worth the A/C in all our late model F-word F450SD work trucks suck, and they're single cab trucks. They start blowing warm the moment you sit idle in traffic/at a light, then once you get moving they eventually get too cold and I'm constantly having to jack with the stupid temperature control knob. They've been like this since brand new.

This argument is dumb..

Richard
That's odd the 550 I had that burned down and the 550 I'm currently driving for work the A/C works great. I can't imagine that a 550 and 450 system and or cab is any different. I know its not Texas hot here but we have have a few weeks of 100+ here and i haven't had a complaint about the A/C in the truck.