What are things I can do to get better MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mxw737

Reaction score
I'd like some feedback from you guys about what I can do to get better MPG im getting about 14 now, ive heard electric fans and cold air intakes but I want to know specifics for our year Truck. Thanks

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
I hate to be the barer of bad news, but these trucks can't do much better than 18mpg with out a lot of work. they trucks are just too heavy, and push too much air down the highway. I just finishad installing an LT1 out of a WS6 bird, all it is doing is 14 to 16. I was hopping for 18 to 20. A good tuneup and fluids change will help a bunch. the truth is - most aftermarket goodies will help millage little if any. but first thing to do is prove if your odemeter is corect or not. if it reads less miles tour math will be tainted.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
It's true.......Were screwed when it comes to MPG.
If someone else knows something that Tinbender & I don't, PLEASE prove us wrong! I would love to stop at the pump less.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score

What's this chip it, all about? What kind of chip? How easy/hard is it to do? Do you see a difference or is it like a cold air intake where your told it's doing something but you have no idea what you spent $300 for?

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh you notice it... it gives these things some bottom end!!

I have a Superchips Programmer and i have it set in tow/haul mode and i get about a 170 miles to a 1/4 tank (well the first quarter) lol

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
What do you get to a tank? I'm asking these questions because I dont know, not because I'm trying to prove you wrong!