What are your thoughts on this rust? Can I repair or do I need to replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They're pretty rough. I would be inclined to replace the backing plates. Short of that I would toss them in a blaster. Brake shoes generally slide in/out against the backing plate so fine tuning/polishing where the pads slide needs looked at. I'm not a big fan of rust converter/cover it up non-solutions but any coating is better than nothing.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon, where we have no salt on roads and no RUST.

When I saw the video, I thought this was a prank. I turned wrenches in KC, Mo. and dealt with this kind of rust. Not only do you have a rust problem, you have a structural integrity problem with that backing plate. The brakes are the most important system on any vehicle. Half your brakes are on those backing plates. Those plates are ATE UP. Replace them and cut corners elsewhere if needed.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
Are replacement OEM or even aftermarket rear brake backing plates even available anymore? The front brake splash shields rotted off on my truck, but new ones are no longer available for the pre-1992 trucks. Fortunately, the splash shield is not critical to front brake function, but it absolutely is for rear brake function.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Why is there no vehicle info given to allow for us to look up parts availability?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're pretty rough. I would be inclined to replace the backing plates.

When I saw the video, I thought this was a prank. I turned wrenches in KC, Mo. and dealt with this kind of rust. Not only do you have a rust problem, you have a structural integrity problem with that backing plate.
??? What am I missing?

Looks like every vehicle I've ever seen. Nothin' special about that. Brake tubing looks better than most.

Probably want to replace the leaf-spring on the right side, and inspect the left-side spring thoroughly.

SDgunner

Reaction score
Are replacement OEM or even aftermarket rear brake backing plates even available anymore? The front brake splash shields rotted off on my truck, but new ones are no longer available for the pre-1992 trucks. Fortunately, the splash shield is not critical to front brake function, but it absolutely is for rear brake function.
They're available, the question is just about where to begin and where to end replacing things.

SDgunner

Reaction score
??? What am I missing?

Looks like every vehicle I've ever seen. Nothin' special about that. Brake tubing looks better than most.

Probably want to replace the leaf-spring on the right side, and inspect the left-side spring thoroughly.
I'm not sure either. I was messing around today with a needle scaler and cleaning things up and while it aint pretty, everything seemed to be structurally sound with plenty of good base metal. Even the backer plates weren't as bad as I initially thought. The leaf springs and shocks are being replaced which is what prompted me to look at the brakes. Looking forward to heavier shocks to firm up the rear end.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They're available, the question is just about where to begin and where to end replacing things.
Always begin with safety and functionality components. Also, components that need replaced, "while you are in there". Your initial question was about backing plates and that you had plans for rear brakes and spring work. Nothing else was shared about what else you were considering.

Having lived in a salt on the road rust state and worked in shops where I dealt with rust daily, I was prone to draw the line pretty quick on putting money in a "rust bucket". Out here in the PNW, we don't deal with rust too much, if at all. My girl's 1990 K2500 with 129k miles, is worth it to keep putting money in it, especially since the body is straight.