ULTIMATE TBI mods stage 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSIERRA

Reaction score
The ghost engine light going on and off I found is usually egr valve or related. The light usually comes on when on hwy or interstate then goes off when at slower speeds.

jrollings

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This all has me jealous.....I need to get on it once cash flow permits.

yep.... reviving an old thread

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Glad you did. I was looking for this thread.

jrollings

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went out and took my air cleaner off. I noticed that a previous owner did the TBI mod of shaving the edges off the tbi with a cut off wheel but there's still kind of a sharp edge around the bores. Should I smooth this out? The unit looks fairly new. I think the P.O also installed an injector spacer but I didn't see what would look like an TB spacer. Would it make much sense to do the one without the other? The air filter cover was flipped upside down as well but I took it off and installed it properly. I don't see the point in sucking the hot air from the engine bay.
Also, is there a way short of tearing the tbi unit down to see if the P.O. installed a higher psi fpr spring? I know I can hook a fuel psi tester up but thatll come later on down the road when I install one like in this thread.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Someone did install an exhaust with an imco dual outlet muffler with dual turn downs right before the rear axle.

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I just went out and took my air cleaner off. I noticed that a previous owner did the TBI mod of shaving the edges off the tbi with a cut off wheel but there's still kind of a sharp edge around the bores. Should I smooth this out? The unit looks fairly new. I think the P.O also installed an injector spacer but I didn't see what would look like an TB spacer. Would it make much sense to do the one without the other? The air filter cover was flipped upside down as well but I took it off and installed it properly. I don't see the point in sucking the hot air from the engine bay.
Also, is there a way short of tearing the tbi unit down to see if the P.O. installed a higher psi fpr spring? I know I can hook a fuel psi tester up but thatll come later on down the road when I install one like in this thread.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Someone did install an exhaust with an imco dual outlet muffler with dual turn downs right before the rear axle.

just get a dremel or borrow one. Smooth out the bores and see if they shaved the throttle blade shaft. Everything else sounds good.

jrollings

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
just get a dremel or borrow one. Smooth out the bores and see if they shaved the throttle blade shaft. Everything else sounds good.

Thx SkyHigh, I did look last night and they didn't shave the blade shafts so I guess I'll be doing that when I do the tb spacer.

camoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So gentlemen, I purchased a spare TBI at a yard to do the mods on, before I remove mine. So far I have shaved the lips down and smoothed it all out.
As I was dis-assembling everything I noticed my fuel pressure regulator cap has a safety torque screw in the cap making it somewhat adjustable. Reading through all these mod threads I have never seen this mentioned.
My thought is if I add a longer bolt I can do what the expensive kit does.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
ive never seen that, but yes basically adding a bolt or so increaes spring pressure, i wouldnt go overkill but it would be adjustable that way. another thing ive seen used are bike cables so you can adjust in vehicle and stuff like that.