ULTIMATE TBI mods stage 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep jegs pn# 50080 a lot cheaper than hypertech. Prob gonna start w the salad bowl first. Already have a k&n filter.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats the typical TBI spacer thickness ? I will be making mine out of either phenolic, or finish plywood laminate A la old skool.

Also looking to put a fuel psi gage on it. Looking at the small liquid filled autometers. Not sure what typical pump and line pressure is. Anybody know? I was assuming the 0-60 psi for the gage would be ok.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also looking to put a fuel psi gage on it. Looking at the small liquid filled autometers. Not sure what typical pump and line pressure is. Anybody know? I was assuming the 0-60 psi for the gage would be ok.

When you do some mods, youre going to need more than 60PSI, so you'll want a gauge that goes a little higher than that...

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Greater than 60 psi for use on a TBI? Nah. If you're ever going to throw that gauge on a Vortec, then sure, 60 psi is not enough.

The higher the range on the gauge, generally the less graduation marks it has, so reading lesser pressures like a TBI gets tricky. Is that 9 or 10... 10 or 11? A psi here or there does matter.

Richard

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Greater than 60 psi for use on a TBI? Nah. If you're ever going to throw that gauge on a Vortec, then sure, 60 psi is not enough.

The higher the range on the gauge, generally the less graduation marks it has, so reading lesser pressures like a TBI gets tricky. Is that 9 or 10... 10 or 11? A psi here or there does matter.

Richard

Youre right, I had a brain fart. Too many different vehicles I'm playing with.....

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you talking under the TB? or between the TB and the air cleaner?

Between the TB and intake manifold. Someone posted it as being 1.0" thick. I am vacuum bag laminating two 1/2" thick grade A pieces of fine laminate plywood together for a TB spacer.

I used to make 1/2" thick plywood laminated spacers for carbs back in the day. It helps to insulate the carb from getting heat soak from the intake manifold.

If your really good at precision woodworking this is easy to do. Then you varnish it to keep oil and fuel from deteriorating it.

I will post when i am done whittling it out LOL