What aftermarket air cleaners will fit on a gen 5 tbi 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was this with an open element filter or the OEM cold air intake? (or something else?) The engine compartment is ALWAYS going to have hotter air than outside the vehicle. If if that outside air gets heated a bit before getting into the intake, the inside air is going to be hotter yet. Hot air or cool air (relative terms that don't care if you're in TX or AK) your choice.
Tahoe has always had the induction sealed to the fender, although I did remove the restrictive duct in the fender when the 8.1L went into it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I bit the bullet and bought stuff to do a dual 4" cold air intake system on the 87 G20. Will definitely find out how it helps the IATs. I found a discontinued NOS Spectre air cleaner housing on Ebay that holds a 14 x 4 air cleaner which should be in the package too. Seller still shows to have 8 of them. $150 shipped vs $250 that it listed on Summit when it was last available from them. I ordered some ducts listed for saw dust collection to fit into the core support on both sides of the cooling stack and some 4 layer flexible duct that looks very similar to what GM used externally. I will paint the lower portion of that polished housing black and leave just the lid shinny. Cannot stand the look of that much polished metal under the hood.

You must be registered for see images attach

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The big plastic oval silencer should have a reducing cone inside. Just remove that. That’s what I did. Personally I wouldn’t run a open air cleaner cause you’ll suck in hot air. You can simply flip the air cleaner lid upside down to get that same effect.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 454 air cleaner base has a bit of a factory tapered power bowl as well.

Why not just slip a silicone coupler over that? All you need is the circumference to get the right size. If it ends up being something common you could smoosh a straight bit of pipe down on one end to make it reach the fender.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not just slip a silicone coupler over that? All you need is the circumference to get the right size. If it ends up being something common you could smoosh a straight bit of pipe down on one end to make it reach the fender.
Never seen a silicone coupler that large. It is like 8" wide and 5.5" tall.