Gen IV BBC bolt in compatibility with GMT400 platform?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
You're starting a project where a tremendous amount of the original driveline will be entirely unsuitable.

You're going to scrap everything from the radiator to the rear axle, plus the front springs. And that doesn't include repairs due to wear or negligence, like ball joints, idler arm, control arm bushings, rag joint, and so forth.

Re-think this project on a GMT400 that already has a big-block in it.

This is not helpful. So what if those components need changed...have you priced out what clapped out 454SS pickups are going for these days? Wear parts need replaced regardless of V6 or 454 starting platform, they should be addressed on a regular maintenance schedule. So that is a moot point.

Your negativity is just that, sometimes its okay to just not post your opinion.

OP:

1. What years of the GMT400 platform was a BBC offered and what Gen were they? All of them

2. Is it safe to assume a Gen IV BBC will bolt in on any 88-98 chassis with the proper factory motor mount frame perches (say from the early 90’s – 454SS truck, I’m assuming the bolt locations specifically the motor mounts and Bell housing location and pattern is the same between BBC generations – please correct me if I’m wrong) Yes(Yes)

3. Do the frame perches even have to be changed from the V6 version? I personally cannot answer this, but believe the 4.3L frame side mounts are similar if not the same.

4. Are headers readily available for this combo? Yes

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don’t worry about the drivetrain till it breaks. When it does get a ford 9in from quick performance. Not sure if you plan on lowering it, if you do that solves the issue for the front. Radiator, well a OEM from any bbc gmt400 will work. Radiator shroud can be found also. If your going to run a 4l80e then you can buy a stand alone trans controller or put an efi setup on it from Holley that also controls the trans.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will need to change a lot of things in addition to the engine itself to pull this off, but they are all bolt on parts. The big block will bolt right in. Whatever transmission came behind the 4.3 will not live long behind the big block. You will need to upgrade the entire cooling system. The stock fuel pump will deliver far too much pressure for a carb. Many other odds and ends will require attention, too, but with your background none of it should be out of reach or even much of an inconvenience. Everyone enjoys watching a project unfold so I hope you'll do a build thread.

Metalgear454

Reaction score
Thanks for the very positive reply! I enjoy researching any topic and then executing it! Any suggestions on an overdrive transmission that will physically fit (not worried about cross member or driveshaft) more concerns about bell housing against firewall and tunnel clearance and the of course some modern ones need controllers, etc...

Rustyjunk

Reaction score
hello, if you are planning on running a carb on your 454 the simple trans solution is a good old turbo 400 and gear venders Overdrive. The only Overdrive auto transmissions that can handle a 454 are expensive and computer controlled (480le).
for the cost of a rebuilt one and the magic black box to make it work you could get a built th400 and gear venders Overdrive and not have any computer BS deal with.

Rustyjunk

Reaction score
If you do decide to go the 480le route, it came in the gmt 400 chassis, so it will physically fit. Also 480le's from gmt 400 or early gmt800 (not sure of the years)will bolt up to your 454 without needing a crank spacer, later versions will need a crank spacer behind torque converter. I live in even worse part of the rust belt and totally understand how nice it is to have a project vehicle that not rusty!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you do decide to go the 480le route, it came in the gmt 400 chassis, so it will physically fit. Also 480le's from gmt 400 or early gmt800 (not sure of the years)will bolt up to your 454 without needing a crank spacer, later versions will need a crank spacer behind torque converter. I live in even worse part of the rust belt and totally understand how nice it is to have a project vehicle that not rusty!
A 4L80E never requires a crank spacer with a small block or a big block. The spacer is LS stuff.

Rustyjunk

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 99-00 6.0 had a "long" crankshaft in order to make current 480le from sbc,bbc fit. Transmissions from those don't have spacing issues when mated to bbc,sbc. 480le trans from other ls engines would have crank issues?