Gen IV BBC bolt in compatibility with GMT400 platform?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Metalgear454

Reaction score
Well, once again thanks, for all the input, it's great to hear from like minded individuals who experience very similar conditions.
The good news I even own an old Turbo 400 short tail.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also note that 1500 trucks have a thinner frame than 8-lug trucks. Not a huge deal for a daily driver but you'll have to stick to the door panels tow ratings even with full 1-ton drivetrain.
Umm, the 454SS had five lugs.

I thought they shared the same frame with the regular 1500’s(?).

I believe the tow rating had to do with:
1-Engine torque
2-Drivetrain gearing

But who really gives a crap about tow ratings for a fun cruiser?

The guy wants to build a hot rod.

I thought that I read the small blocks used the same mounts as the big blocks - but I could be mistaken.

You could probably check replacement mounts on Rockauto to see is the V6 vs SB vs BB are in fact different.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Umm, the 454SS had five lugs.

I thought they shared the same frame with the regular 1500’s(?).

I believe the tow rating had to do with:
1-Engine torque
2-Drivetrain gearing

But who really gives a crap about tow ratings for a fun cruiser?

The guy wants to build a hot rod.

I thought that I read the small blocks used the same mounts as the big blocks - but I could be mistaken.

You could probably check replacement mounts on Rockauto to see is the V6 vs SB vs BB are in fact different.
454SS had 5 lugs, but it had a TH400 or 4L80E and a beefy for the combination 9.5" SF 14-bolt rear. The front springs are also big block specific. I have a pair of the big block coil springs in my 99 Tahoe.