What aftermarket air cleaners will fit on a gen 5 tbi 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
is wrong that at nearly 31 years of age I like hearing intake noise but also want get as much outside not under hood air in my engine as I can?

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
on a side note I have a tall lid from a 454 motor home on my tbi 454 are clean so I can put in a bigger filter sadly it will be sucking under hood air when I get it running because I have no ducting right now I do not know how how many of these were made like this but mine also came from the factory with no stove pipe provision

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Nope, just slapped a 14x3 open element on it, because it really does not matter here in Texas. The IATs will hit 160F and beyond even with the stock air ducting. Once rolling down the highway they will still be 120-140F. Only real advantage to the sealed ducting is less intake noise and an OE look.

You could insulate the air tube if you have issues with the engine heat transferring to the charge air.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
on a side note I have a tall lid from a 454 motor home on my tbi 454 are clean so I can put in a bigger filter sadly it will be sucking under hood air when I get it running because I have no ducting right now I do not know how how many of these were made like this but mine also came from the factory with no stove pipe provision
Mine also does not have the hot air heat stove. Alot of the small block and big block vans, big block RVs and even some 8 lug trucks were built without them.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could insulate the air tube if you have issues with the engine heat transferring to the charge air.
Doesn't much matter. The air cleaner is a huge heat soak and the duct pulls hot air right out of the gap between the condenser and radiator. The outside air negating the heating from the condenser of the inlet air into the duct is already 115-120F or more. I bet the air it is pulling behind the condenser is 130-140F. I measured the air on a 108F day over a concrete parking lot, not even a black asphault road with 1000s of other vehicles idling around at 115F this past summer doing ac performance testing.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Doesn't much matter. The air cleaner is a huge heat soak and the duct pulls hot air right out of the gap between the condenser and radiator.

Well that's a difference between vans and trucks. Trucks pulls from the fender and have a hole behind the headlights that feeds that area. I could see that being a big factor. You probably do get air heated above ambient more than the rest of us.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that's a difference between vans and trucks. Trucks pulls from the fender and have a hole behind the headlights that feeds that area. I could see that being a big factor. You probably do get air heated above ambient more than the rest of us.
The trucks get heated too here. Tahoe baked in the same temps. Even newer vehicles get equally heated. My old G35 was at 170F when I looked at it a while back. It pulls air from behind the headlights. When you are stuck idling for 10 minutes at a time in that kind of heat, stuff starts to sizzle.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This was the 99 Tahoe on a hot day when it still had a small block in it. Look at how high the IATs are even at highway speed. 122*F, then again that was probably pretty close to ambient over the roads surface.
You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Snorkel tube and plastic fender connector missing from the '93 454 when I bought it, sure wish I had one laying around somewhere to put back on. Noise not really an issue as this thing is louder than the world when it's running, but it would make me feel better that it's not directly ingesting the ridiculous heat this engine makes.

I deleted the heat riser flap because the wax pellet had failed and was letting the flap stay closed full time. Haven't bothered to patch up the housing where the flap came out, because it's sucking all that hot air from the snorkel opening for now, anyway.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This was the 99 Tahoe on a hot day when it still had a small block in it. Look at how high the IATs are even at highway speed. 122*F, then again that was probably pretty close to ambient over the roads surface.

Was this with an open element filter or the OEM cold air intake? (or something else?) The engine compartment is ALWAYS going to have hotter air than outside the vehicle. If if that outside air gets heated a bit before getting into the intake, the inside air is going to be hotter yet. Hot air or cool air (relative terms that don't care if you're in TX or AK) your choice.