Turbo build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaredpear

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got an automatic transmission so it’ll have a trans brake. No need for 2 step haha. Also I have an msd 6al if I need a rev limiter. I do think the 411 will be the direction I head just not immediately, I’ll see how the black box works first

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My buddy got HPT to tune his car with and asked if I could help him. I spent about 3 weeks fooling with it and don't like how it's laid out, I never got anywhere with it and gave up.

I prefer EFI Live. I feel it's laid out better and easier to use. But I've been using it for 14 years..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I think the layout is just a matter of what you get used to. Honestly I cant complain about HPT in that regard. I believe the support and features are better for EFI live though. HPT offers 2 and 3 bar OS with real time tuning but that's about it. Seems like EFI Live has a few more options. I think the forum support for gas engine tuning is probably about the same.

As a side note, if you ever think you'll tune a diesel, don't bother with HPT. The diesel support sucks. It worked okay tuning my brothers 07 duramax, but trying to tune my dad's '11 was a nightmare.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the layout is just a matter of what you get used to. Honestly I cant complain about HPT in that regard. I believe the support and features are better for EFI live though. HPT offers 2 and 3 bar OS with real time tuning but that's about it. Seems like EFI Live has a few more options. I think the forum support for gas engine tuning is probably about the same.

As a side note, if you ever think you'll tune a diesel, don't bother with HPT. The diesel support sucks. It worked okay tuning my brothers 07 duramax, but trying to tune my dad's '11 was a nightmare.
That's true.
I used ATP to tune some Dmax with EFI till EPA shut them down.
Now i use Duramax tuner and email tunes for EFI. Works great. Till the trans slips... ha

Alot of the HPT stuff I couldn't get to work and couldn't figure out the scanner. It gave me all kinda issues. Told him to sell it and I'd tune it with my EFI.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
I’ve got an automatic transmission so it’ll have a trans brake. No need for 2 step haha. Also I have an msd 6al if I need a rev limiter. I do think the 411 will be the direction I head just not immediately, I’ll see how the black box works first

This is some of the funniest **** I've read all day.

I get it, you're young and naive. Best bet is to do some more research prior to even attempting this. Most of your comments so far on direction have been fairly off.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha we have all been there.. glad he started this thread before going through with his first idea.
Some here have learned from their own mistakes and try to help steer others in the right direction.

If it were me, I'd just do a LS swap and turbo it. ;)
This is some of the funniest **** I've read all day.

I get it, you're young and naive. Best bet is to do some more research prior to even attempting this. Most of your comments so far on direction have been fairly off.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Haha we have all been there.. glad he started this thread before going through with his first idea.
Some here have learned from their own mistakes and try to help steer others in the right direction.

If it were me, I'd just do a LS swap and turbo it. ;)

Perhaps you misunderstood the direction of my comment.

Theres plenty of good advice being given in this thread, but the OP is being given that good information and is looking the other direction.

He needs to research the advice given prior to just belting out the other and sometimes more complicated option.

Some people LS swap and then theres people with the budget to make power with an SBC/BBC.

Point being, some have the budget for junkyard stuff and some have the budget for real race stuff.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Honestly, for what you'll have in it for a shop to somehow make the black box run it, you'd probably be able to pay for tuning software. I'd just 0411 swap the stock truck, learn how to tune, speed density tune it, then move forward with boost.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes i did. I read it too fast. I understand what your talking about now.
Perhaps you misunderstood the direction of my comment.

Theres plenty of good advice being given in this thread, but the OP is being given that good information and is looking the other direction.

He needs to research the advice given prior to just belting out the other and sometimes more complicated option.

Some people LS swap and then theres people with the budget to make power with an SBC/BBC.

Point being, some have the budget for junkyard stuff and some have the budget for real race stuff.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree.. speed density tuning with the 411 and a COS 2 bar is very simple.
Honestly, for what you'll have in it for a shop to somehow make the black box run it, you'd probably be able to pay for tuning software. I'd just 0411 swap the stock truck, learn how to tune, speed density tune it, then move forward with boost.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I had a 454 in my little C10 square body back in the day, it was a torque monster that entertained me plenty. And now we're throwing turbos at them? This is definitely going to be one fun truck.

Depending on what part of Texas you're in, let me know if you ever make it out to one of the strips around DFW, I'm out roaming around there once every blue moon when I'm not hands deep in one of my vehicles. I'd love to see the finished product in person. Definitely listen to these guys' advice though, they know their stuff. Me? I'm just trying to squeeze a little more power/torque out of my 350 TBI before it blows up and I go a different route. :)