"Factory turbo setup for SBC"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The last pic in the first post shows what looks like part of the adapter under the carb where there used to be pipe threads, that have been cut in half, but it also looks like a casting line there also, as in it hadn't been cut in half.

I noticed the threads too, and thought it strange. I also don't see GM using a Carter carb.... at least I've never heard of that before.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might not be the most up-to-date, nor most powerful setup, but it'd be pretty dang cool on a rat rod.

There was a lot of debate on draw-through versus blow-through setups on the RX-7 board I used to frequent. Draw through, like this, was more common. There's no more "danger" than there is with a roots blower. They're easier to set up because your carburetor is only dealing with ambient air pressures and an increased draw from the engine. With a blow-through setup you either need a carb hat and a sealed carburetor or a carburetor box, and a boost-referenced fuel pressure regulator.

Chebig

Reaction score
Think of it like a roots style super charger with a really long flow path. I have seen more than one turbo setup like this, but can't say I've seen one on a SBC before. These have the worst turbo lag ever! First the engine bogs from lack of fuel, then the fuel hits and it runs super rich, blowing black smoke like a diesel until the boost finally come on, then you better hold on! My brother has one on a Porsche 914 fed by a Holley 600 4BBL, and another guy I know has one on a 600cc snowmobile. Both systems are totally cobbled together but they work. It is the poor mans turbo setup as you don't need a specially built carburetor or increased fuel pressure to compensate for the boost pressure. The carb basically works normally as it only sees normal vacuum and increased air flow with boost.