"Factory turbo setup for SBC"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what to make of this. It's clearly an OLLLLLLD setup; you can see they made a custom rams horn manifold setup for it, and possibly a stock intake with a custom adapter in between the AFB carb and intake, for the turbo. What a crazy setup!

Says "RV TURBO" and "HOUSTON TURBO" some letter in front of Houston I can't make out, maybe a Y? or a V? and what looks like "4401" after the TURBO. Can't find anything with some quick googling because of course "turbo" "rv turbo" etc. just turns up a million unrelated hits.

Seller's description in its entirety: "This is a factory turbo setup that came on a Chevy dump truck. I ran it on a hot rod sedan I have had now for several years. Rebuilding the car and going a different direction. Super cool and super rare. I’ve never ever seen another setup like this anywhere. You want something easy, simple and old school - this is it!"

I saved all 10 pics from it just in case the listing disappears.

You must be registered for see images attach

Other 5 pics continued in next post..

Richard

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm very confused. There is a hose from the turbo to the intake, but then there is the S shaped hose coming out of the intake but there doesn't appear to have anything that it connects to. But the most noticeable issue is the turbo feeds pressure under the carb not into the carb so wouldn't it just blow out of the top instead of into the cylinders? Any turbo people familiar with this setup?

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never seen one of those, but I'm about like Grimster. The whole thing doesn't make much sense.

The last pic in the first post shows what looks like part of the adapter under the carb where there used to be pipe threads, that have been cut in half, but it also looks like a casting line there also, as in it hadn't been cut in half. Also block off plate on the intake.

I think its all emissions related, not actually performance, or a bad attempt at both. GM occasionally came out with some weird ideas over the years. Might have even been an attempt to cool the intake air, in a cabover or something, and doesn't actually blow into the intake, or wasn't intended to.

Interesting though, probably got pulled because its mostly useless.

kvgsqtii

Reaction score
I've never seen one of these before, but looking at the pictures and seeing there is a filter that sits on top, it doesn't seem to be a blow through carb. The part between the carb and the intake manifold must be divided into two chambers. See the picture below.

The only flow path that really makes sense.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm very confused. There is a hose from the turbo to the intake, but then there is the S shaped hose coming out of the intake but there doesn't appear to have anything that it connects to. But the most noticeable issue is the turbo feeds pressure under the carb not into the carb so wouldn't it just blow out of the top instead of into the cylinders? Any turbo people familiar with this setup?

I'm guessing it's a draw through turbo.

One of those pipes under the carb is before the turbo and one is after.