Rear Drum to Disc Conversion kit questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The calipers can't handle it either. The seals will start leaking. A simple google search will show you other peoples opinions on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lonestarstunner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand your concern completely, however I don't use my parking brake, and I could count on one hand the times used it in the last several years. Your point is valid for sure, however I'm fortunate enough that my truck isn't a daily driver, it gets roughly 30-50 miles a month put on it. The line lock would be used only for "inspections" or for instance when removing the dash bezel. As far as the piston seal "wearing out" I really don't see the validation in that statement especially when your rear pad life gets below 50% the piston is extended further outward. The seal is designed to ride on the piston body at any circumstance. But please elaborate if I'm incorrect.

Lonestarstunner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, I'm curious if the line lock solenoid could be redesigned to 100% duty... I work in commercial hvac and deal with solenoids daily. Which most can be found in 100% duty cycles. Would just need a better solenoid I believe.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The seals are designed to see burst or short periods of high pressure. When the line lock is engaged it sees constant high pressure for a long period of time. This will weaken the seals faster than they normally do, and risk your truck rolling away.

Last edited:

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
The seals are designed to see burst or short periods of high pressure. When the line lock is engaged it sees constant high pressure for a long period of time. This will weaken the seals faster than they normally do, and risk your truck rolling away.

I know absolutely nothing when it comes to specifics about calipers.... but wouldn't it be the same as holding your brake pedal for a while? Now I do know you wouldn't sit in your truck for hours on end holding your brake down.... but if you think of how many times you sit at a red light, or in construction, or even at a train.... how many hours you actually hold it compressed.... Some trucks last 200 000Km before it even needs new calipers if you do the proper maintenance on it... wouldn't this be the same as having a line locked on for a couple of hours??

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think people are more concerned that the outer edges of the seal will weaken when it is holding back the fluid for a constant extended period of time. Once the seal weakens it will let fluid seep, reducing the brake pressure on the rotors/drums. I'm not really sure why holding the brakes for a couple hours would be any different. I'm just relaying what I read online when I looked into using my line lock as a parking brake

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is something called the e stop. It's an electronic alternative but it's like $700