Rear axle swap 10 bolt to sf 14 bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've read the 80+ pages of the stupid axle sticky and seeing as how most of it has been captured by the 4x4 crowd, I'm gonna ask some questions for us 2 wheelers. First off, my truck is a 2wd. '89 Cheyenne, with a 3:08 10 bolt. I've located a rear from a C2500 2wd that has 3:73's. I know I'll need new u-bolts and mtg. plates, a conversion joint for my drive shaft, and whatever parts are needed for brake repair. That's the easy stuff. Where my concern lays, is the axles themselves. I want to keep my 5x5 lug pattern. Has anyone done this type of swap, and have you redrilled the axle flanges and drums for five lugs? I know I can get a new pair of SS454 axles from Dutchman Axles, but am wondering if there's enough landscape on the original 6 lug axle flanges to be redrilled. I see on the Dutchman sight that they can plug and redrill the axles for $110 for the pair, but I also have to take into account the cost of shipment. I'm gonna contact some local machine shops in my area to see if they can do this operation. Any insight will be gratefully appreciated.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no point in considering re-drilling axle shafts until you've verified that the bearing and seal surface is in proper, usable condition.

Fairly common for these axles to have corroded/worn bearing or seal surfaces, and then the axle shaft is scrapmetal.

Wild Guess: You might as well buy the five-lug axles new. You'll get better metallurgy/stronger axle shafts, probably better machining. Then the issue is getting drums to fit.

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put one in my 89 couple of years ago.

No problem redrilling your 14 bolt axles to 5x5 - support your local machinist

You can even use the 10 bolt yoke on your 14 bolt and keep your existing driveshaft

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, but...
1: A 454SS axle is rare and hard to find, and
2: O.P.s C2500 axle is a 6 lug.
He said he can get new 454 axles from Dutchman for the 14 bolt, then asks if they can get redrilled for a 5x5 bolt pattern.
They should already be 5 lug.
That's why I'm confused.
The 454 is already a 5 lug, so why would he need to get them drilled to 5 lug.
Unless I'm missing something here, I'm NOT trying to be difficult!!! Lol

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He said he can get new 454 axles from Dutchman for the 14 bolt, then asks if they can get redrilled for a 5x5 bolt pattern.
They should already be 5 lug.
That's why I'm confused.
The 454 is already a 5 lug, so why would he need to get them drilled to 5 lug.
Unless I'm missing something here, I'm NOT trying to be difficult!!! Lol

I went back an reread post 1. The way I took it was O.P. can "get new pair of SS454 axles from Dutchman Axles,"
"but am wondering if there's enough landscape on the" (referring back to the 6 lug) "axle flanges to be redrilled."

Now, O.P. did go on to specify that Dutchman can redrill axles. That is confusing, since (as you correctly stated) 454SS axles are indeed 5-lug.

Perhaps @Leeztruk can respond and clear up his intentions?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He is looking at the 6 lug C2500 9.5" 14 bolt semi float rear differential. He has 2 options to convert the axle shafts to 5 lug. He can buy new shafts for the 454ss or he can have his 6 lug axle shafts lug stud holes welded up and redrilled for 5x5. The backing plate and drums will go right on whether he chooses the 10" or 11" drums. As mentioned the 10 bolt pinion yoke will go on the 14sf. This is how you can replicate a 454ss rear differential.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gentlemen, before this post gets into a real pi$$ing contest, I've edited my original posting by adding 3 words (well, 2 words and a number) to more clearly describe the situation. Skylark is correct in my question. And yes, I'm trying to replicate the SS454 axle with parts that CAN be found vs. the almost unattainable REAL SS454 axle.
DamHoodlum, thanks for chiming in. Was hoping you would. Been a fan of your truck since I first joined this site

The main reason I'm doing this is for better braking! The 4.8 LS I put in the truck is plenty fast, but the current brakes are really not up to the task of getting me stopped quickly