Making changes to a 10 bolt rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What a clusterfork!! I was SO-O-O sure that what I had looked up would get me what I wanted, BUT NOOO. Went to the Littleshop MFG. site this morning (that's where the axle tube flange pics came from), and don't ya know, there's a third pic of a flange for the trucks with 11" brakes, and that flange is much larger than what my '89 has. I would have to change the bolt pattern on the 11" backing plate to be able to mate it to my axle. Working with a retiree's disposable income(slim-to-none) the R&D that goes on in my head is emptying my pockets faster than Usane Bolt running the 100 yd. dash!! Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on all the brake parts to make the change that I thought would work. Kinda looks like I'll just hafta go the SF 14bolt route afterall

Tandyman

Reaction score
I worked on a 96 4x4 Tahoe that had the factory 11 inch brakes on it, as well as a 99 4x4 Suburban. Why wouldn't those backing plates work??

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked on a 96 4x4 Tahoe that had the factory 11 inch brakes on it, as well as a 99 4x4 Suburban. Why wouldn't those backing plates work??
All the reasons are listed in this thread and many others. A 10 bolt does NOT have the correct axle flange for 11” backing plate.

Tandyman

Reaction score
Did yours come with 11” brakes?
Those 2 vehicles I worked on did. I would figure that the axle flanges are the same
All the reasons are listed in this thread and many others. A 10 bolt does NOT have the correct axle flange for 11” backing plate.
Both of those were unmodified factory 10 bolts with 11 inch drums..
With that being said, the bare axle housings 95 or 96 up were the same. Maybe 88 to 94 C/K had a different flange? IDK. I believe it is possible, if not probable. A trip to the junkyard with a tape measure would confirm

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you at least read this thread? If you did, why did you ignore post #18 and #20? Yes, you are talking about your Suburban and Tahoe 10 bolts that came WITH 11” brakes and corresponding 11” backer plates AND correct flange for 11” brake system. 10 bolts on pickups did NOT come with any of that.
Simply put, the parts are NOT interchangeable.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Suburban and Tahoe” 10 Bolt, 14 Bolt use this flange(bolt pattern).
You must be registered for see images attach

Pickup trucks with 10 bolts use this flange.

You must be registered for see images attach

Swapping backing plates between the 2 flanges is impossible.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Nothing is impossible with enough adapters and a welder. :)

2. I don't understand why someone would expend that much time, money, effort, and enthusiasm to "fix up" a piece-of-crap fragile 10-bolt 8.5" axle assembly. Drop the 8.5 like a broken rubber. Having said that, yes, I understand that a C1500 5-lug is more difficult to convert to a 14-bolt C2500 9.5" axle assembly than the K1500, due to the 6-lug axle shafts of the C and K2500 9.5" axle.

The 9.5" axle assembly IS that much better than the 8.5" unit.