14 bolt FF 13” x 3.5” backing plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghostman

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 14 bolt FF rear axle with over the hub drums. Shoes are 13”x3.5” . I plan on swapping this axle into my 99 ECLB K2500, 5.7L for gear and durability upgrade from a 3.73 14 bolt SF axle.

My question is the brake backing plate appears to be the same backing plate on both sides, with the parking brake cable exiting out the back of the axle on the right side and out the front on the left, is this the correct configuration for a 14 bolt FF axle? Would the RR cable be routed around the back of the axle?

I was told it came off an early 90s c3500 w/4.10s (GT5) and a locker (G80) SRW vehicle.

Edit: 4.10 not 4.11

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 14 bolt FF rear axle with over the hub drums. Shoes are 13”x3.5” . I plan on swapping this axle into my 99 ECLB K2500, 5.7L for gear and durability upgrade from a 3.73 14 bolt SF axle.

My question is the brake backing plate appears to be the same backing plate on both sides, with the parking brake cable exiting out the back of the axle on the right side and out the front on the left, is this the correct configuration for a 14 bolt FF axle? Would the RR cable be riuted around the back of the axle?

I was told it came off an early 90s c3500 w/4.11s (GT5) and a locker (G80) SRW vehicle.

My 99 has them both out the front. It's also a SRW 10.5 with slip on drums. Maybe check the Billavista 14bff bible that's floating around the internet, to see if your setup was ever done?

Also, those gears would be 4.10, not 4.11. I don't think GM offered a 4.11 in recent history.... maybe the Eaton axles that came before the 14bff?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Slip on drums?! You guys both suck!

My dually and SRW plow truck, both FFs, have the cables out the front.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds a little wacky*, as if it has 2 driver side backing plates.

*not an expert on this subject

Richard

Ghostman

Reaction score
Are
My 99 has them both out the front. It's also a SRW 10.5 with slip on drums. Maybe check the Billavista 14bff bible that's floating around the internet, to see if your setup was ever done?

Also, those gears would be 4.10, not 4.11. I don't think GM offered a 4.11 in recent history.... maybe the Eaton axles that came before the 14bff?

your brakes shoes 2.5” or 3.5” wide?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have expected both backing plates to have the cable enter from the front, otherwise it's not going to pull on the park brake lever inside the drum properly.

Most backing plates are stamped the same, with half of them machined for the cable to come in from one side and half of 'em machined for the cable to come in from the other side. One of each, per vehicle, so the cables always enter from the front. I bet you just need to pop a hole in the backing plate from the front, and plug the hole in the rear with RTV silicone/brazed patch/welded patch/etc.