Rear Drum to Disc Conversion kit questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Silvi 1990

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im about to get a SSBC rear conversion kit for my 91 and was wondering if anybody has done it before. I know you have to remove all of the old drum components and pull the axles out inorder to put the caliper mounting plate on but is it really that easy? THX
You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have been researching a big brake swap for quite a while. Most kits for our trucks use a front caliper/rotor made specifically for the application by whatever manufacturerer. The rear kits use a system cobbled together from Camaro stuff. Redrilled rotors, etc. Therefore the calipers look (& perform?) different. For a Wilwood system, there are no brackets, available through them, to mount the front calipers farther from the hub, due to the greater distance required by the larger rotors. Wilwood uses the stock master cylinder.
Baer is using the same principle for their system, although they have the front caliper re-location brackets.
For both, you have to modify the spindle for clearance of the larger rotors.
SSBC is the only Co. that manufactures a rear system, specific to our trucks, that is a match to their front system. They also offer a 'firm-feel' master cylinder of their own design. The front system comes with a new set of spindles, stock height or 2" dropped, pre-modified for the larger brakes. I may be mistaken, but if I remember right, the front system comes pre-assembled on the new spindles.
The SSBC system is somewhat more expensive, but compared to what you get with the others, & the fabrication involved for the install of them, I think that the SSBC is the better of any of the systems out there.
As far as the simplicity of the install of these brakes, the only reason to remove the axles, is to remove the backing plates. If you have the technology to cut them off, then you don't have to go through the draining of the rear just to remove the 'c' clips.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
you can make your own for 200 and work just as good. You can add bigger rotors and caliper if you wanted to.. I made my kit from stock parts and have had no problem at all. I autocross and drag my truck every chance I get..

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
TRUE!!! After all the research that I've done, the direction that you've taken is the way I'm leaning. $3500.00, or $200.00? Not so hard to decide, especially when I could use that $$$ difference in so many other areas of my truck!

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the 1st gen SSBC rear brake kit on my truck and its all just OE parts that you can get anywhere. calipers are off a 85 toranado, rotors ar off a impala, the brakects ive see online at speedway motors

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
This is all you need

rotors
1995 Impala SS rear rotors (Edit: the holes for the studs will need machined to 5/8")
calipers
$49.95 each Summit racing part #SUM-DSEP-55017R #SUM-DSEP-55017L

Speedway calipers with e-brake NEW not rebuilt and no core charge
$99.99 each loaded Speedway motors part #910-31046 1 left, 1 right

Caliper brackets
$9.99 each Speedway motors part #916-41009 2 needed

Brake line
$49.99 pair Speedway motors part #617-8564 1 needed (come as a pair)

Spacer for E-brake cable will fab up when needed

Super Silvi 1990

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys building one myself would be ideal but i dont have much of a shop to work with. Also i found the SSBC kit on summit for a little over 600 bucks and on ebay for 590 at one time where did the 3500 dollars come from? I know the brembo big brake kits cost about 1150 dollars and that with 12inch rotors and 4 piston calipers and 10inch rotors in the rear. Also while i had the axles out i might put a locker in as well that i found on summit made by powertrax.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
When I was looking at the SSBS kit, The front system was about $1900.00, the rears were $900.00. Plus, shipping, duty, taxes, exchange. Darn near $3500.00.
To build a custom vehicle in Canada costs 20-30 % more, than a comparable one in the States. Always has. The OLD old farts use to tell me this when I was just starting out to modify vehicles. I've found this to be pretty accurate over the years.