Little Shop Disc Break Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merritt31

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All things aside, my drums might not have been set up correctly so I can't say that the conversion is better without proof of what my drums could have been but I do know that with a full load of wood I don't have problems slowing down anymore and that to me is a win. Guess we will see how long that lasts though.

I have a Spartan locker in the rear that can get a little stuck sometimes and when it unlocks its a little violent and after going to the conversions I don't have that problem anymore. not sure if that is because I pulled the locker and axles to replace my seals while I was in there and when I reinstalled maybe I did it right this time ( my spacing was at the minimum the first install and this time) or if the driver drum was binding up and that's why the driver side went boom. I put new shoes and hardware on both sides when I bought the truck early 2022 so I didn't think I would have a issue there. twas wrong tho

jaybee

Reaction score
Will any upgraded disk brake system stop your vehicle "faster?" Technically no, as long as it can provide adequate clamping force to lock the wheels. Tires are the limiting factor. What better brakes can give you is better pedal feel, which in turn gives you better ability to modulate at the limit. They can give you reduced brake fade with repeated stops and on long down grades. That's because disks dissipate the heat of braking much faster than drums.

Of course, all that's predicated on big enough rotors to do the job. I'm sure the info is somewhere, but a few minutes with Google didn't tell me what the rotors come off. Anything of weight approaching that of an OBS will have big enough rotors, or a somewhat lighter vehicle if it's built for performance. That's because kinetic energy increases with the square of the distance. In other words, it can create more brake heat stopping a Camaro from 120 than stopping an OBS from 60.

As for the master cylinder, its job is to provide the right hydraulic leverage for the installation. A smaller bore causes the pedal to be lighter, but also causes it to move farther. A larger bore gives a shorter pedal stroke, but also a heavier pedal.