random trailer stuff, builds, ideas, discussion.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
No real structure for this thread just some of what I have going on currently.

I am building a trailer for a customer, it was a GMT400 1 ton dually 4x4 utility bed, It going to be a mobile repair shop with a welder on the front.
You must be registered for see images attach

Not much too it really all I have to do is add a tounge jack and wire conection.

Here is a streamline duchess that was given to me. It needs work I havent figured out what I will do with it. I do have a guy interested in it, he restores vintage trailers on the side. Its somewhere around 23ft and about 3800lbs. Pretty cool but bigger than I want or need.

I built this trailer from scratch with scrap iron we have accumulated over the years. It cost me about $500 to build. It was intended to be towed behind my jeep but with the 4cyl it just doesnt like the trailer with any weight in it LMFAO. Its been handy though as you cannot fit much in a jeep.

I love to read forums such as expedition portal and teardrops and tiny travel trailers. I would really like some sort of camping set up for this coming summer.

A few ideas I have.
Make a truck bed trailer that matches my 94 add a topper, carpet kit nessesities...
Trade the streamline for a smaller vintage camper such as a shasta...
Convert a cargo trailer to suit my needs...

Feel free to comment, share ideas, link to your own threads.

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
I built this trailer last year out of scrap mobile home tongues.....

The bare materials....

a few progress pics...

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
My current trailer, it's a homemade trailer, just not built by me, couldn't pass it up for $400 though...:D

BubbaZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I built this 4x8 a couple years back cause i was bored..started with a trailer with junk wood that my grandpa had built in the 80's the from was orig from a tear drop camper.he moved the axle and welded in a couple extra braces.ANd over the years the wood rotted so i stripped it down blasted the frame and painted it to match my truck with new wood..I was just experimenting with height on the sides in these pics it ended up getting same height 3/8 th plywood ...right now im doing another 4x8 but also have a 20 ft twin axle dovetail car hualer and a 25 ft enclosed car hauler.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
This is a cool thread. Bump for more!

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I didnt build these but My trailer is homemade. I bought it for $200 and painted it and added the gmt400 rims. I wouldn't have thought it but the guy I bought it from said his dad built it in 1988. And that's what the title says. 88 homemade!

And this is one my brother in law built

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Homade use it constantly

Last edited:

Steve83

Reaction score
I used to be in construction (over a decade ago), and I salvaged a bunch of 4x6 Al I-beams & 2.5" sq. posts from a job just because I couldn't bear scrapping them. After ~10 years & 2 moves, I got tired of looking at them, so I pulled a Caravan rear suspension from a JY and started cutting... I don't often tow heavy stuff, but I occasionally need to carry something too bulky for my hitch hauler or the truck bed, so the ~2700# axle was perfect. I had hoped it would be strong enough to carry my Snap-On tool box, but it turns out the box is too heavy. But it carried a smaller box with a few drawers removed, and all the big pieces of my Bronco, and it's great for riding mowers, 4-wheelers, & my welding cart. The passenger-vehicle-grade suspension & tires make it VERY smooth, even at highway speeds.

The tongue is 3" sq. steel tube with 1.5" sq. welded on, and that's bolted to the steel leaf spring brackets. Everything else is bolted to the Al ladder frame, including the polyurethaned plywood deck and the original minvan shocks. I used JY liftgate gas struts to hold it up when tilted (I wanted a little tongue weight), and mounted an ammo can under the deck for straps & junk. The deck is held down by a Cl.V locking hitch pin (same type & key as the truck's drawbar) so the spare tire, ammo box, & jack are secure. All 3 tires are also from the JY, and the spare tray has room for a larger one, if necessary. The stake pockets are steel, and I've built a few of the 2x4 walls that go in them - they're interchangeable to any position. There are a few tiedowns from Suburbans/Tahoes bolted in the side channels, and I'll probably add a few more. The tongue jack flips up, and I recently bolted on some steel wheelwells. All I have left is to add a small wedge ramp to protect the LED taillights & make it easier to roll onto, and hook up the minivan's e-brake cables to a handle on the tongue. I might also add some deck fore & aft of the tires.

Click the pic for more:

BTW
Those fiberglass reflective driveway markers make a WORLD of difference when towing or backing an empty trailer - they make it really easy to tell where the trailer is and which way it's pointed, even when empty behind a dually at night. Without them or tall cargo, it's invisible.

Last edited:

tailpipe51

Suburbanholic
Reaction score
nice trailers guys we got a smaller one and just got a big tandem axle thats y i want towing mirrors on the burban