Dumb door hinge idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Seems like an incredible amount of work for very little payoff in the end. Economists would call that opportunity cost. You could change the door pins and bushing out and be on to other projects or ventures. You'd still be trying to complete one door in that same timeframe. That's my serious answer. If you're simply joking . . . never mind. :confused:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its well know how short lived the door hinge setup is on our trucks or others with similar set up. But this is not universally true. We (as in humans) figured out door hinges hundreds of years ago. I have been in several houses with exterior doors that had to have weighed close to 100 lbs and been about that many years old with absolute zero sag. (So i know if the engineers wanted, they could make doors not sag) Anyway, my thought was, what if I modifide the door and made an adapter so you could just use a regular house door hinge in place of the ones in there? As long as the "pin" was in the exact same spot, it would open and close the same. Has anyone heard of such a thing? My thinking would be to make it so you could bolt on the house door hinges so it would be easy to take them off and replace them if you ever needed (and i would use slotted holes so there would be some adjustability built into the design if desired). What do you guys think? The dumbest thing ever, or has something like it already been done (google turned up nothing) or maybe there is some complications im not thinking of. Thoughts?
You are going through the same issue most of us have dealt with. Buy the bushing kit,install it and enjoy 10-20yrs of the door working like it should. When the door starts to get hard to close do it again.